• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Guidance on Testing/Possible Exposure? Tested Negative at 8 weeks, but had taken Acyclovir

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate any help or insight you could offer.

On May 18th I performed and received oral sex with a new partner. A few days later, I had a small area on my private region that was a little irritated (not a blister, just irritation). I went to an Urgent Care and they said I had a fever of 102, swabbed the irritated area and gave me a 10 day round of acyclovir in case it was herpes. The fever went away and the irritation also went away. The swab came back negative.

2 weeks later I started developing white lesions on my tongue, I had a low-grade fever which lasted for 2 weeks, and I had strep throat. An ENT doctor diagnosed the white lesions as glossitis, and it has now been going on for over 6 weeks, which seems too long to be a herpes related symptom. I had an IGG test done at 8 weeks and came back negative for Types 1 & 2. A week after that test, the ENT gave me a prescription for Valtrex thinking that the glossitis is viral, I took 6 days of Valtrex (500mg twice a day) and it did appear to be helping. I then stopped taking it after 6 days because I realized that I need to test again and I don't want the Valtrex to skew the results.

I understand that the early round of acyclovir could have delayed the production of antibodies, but wouldn't I have shown up as at least equivocal at the 8 week test? Is that test just completely void because of the early round of medication, or is that still a hopeful sign? At this point, when can I reliably do another IGG test and trust the results?

I'm discouraged that the Valtrex seems to be helping my tongue glossitis, but I'm also surprised that any herpes symptom would last for over 6 weeks -- I was really thinking it might be something else, but now I'm not sure at all.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

-peaceofmind25

You are not out of the woods by any means. Even if you hadn't been on antivirals about 25% of people wouldn't show on an igg for hsv2 and even more for hsv1. You should wait the full 16 weeks before feeling safe. Obviously, the negative tests are still a good sign. Just not conclusive.

Hey Jeff, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I definitely understand I'm not out of the woods and planned to retest again. Do you think at 16 weeks post exposure, that would be a reliable result even with the previous anti-virals?

As far as the tongue glossitis, I know that's not a typical presentation of hsv, but my ENT seems to think it's very possible and after doing some research about it online, it does look like hsv can be a cause of it. I'm just confused why it's lasted so long as I wouldn't expect any herpes symptom to last beyond 6 weeks. With the Valtrex appearing to help heal it, that's also concerned me as well.

Thanks again!