• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

So many questions...

I'm 35 and just found out I have herpes. Not sure what type yet. Started taking Zovirax 3 days ago and still in a tremendous amount of pain. I've never experienced anything like this. I've been sexually active since I was 20 but for the most part I've used condoms unless I'm in an exclusive relationship and have had the std talk. I get STD testing regularly but I didn't realize until recently that the routine panel does not include herpes. That seems crazy to me. Anyway, about a month ago I met an amazing guy and slept with him without a condom for the first time after having "the talk." He assured me he was fine. We slept together a handful of times without a condom and after the most recent time I began to feel irritated and itchy. I thought it was bacterial vaginitis until I saw the bumps. So terrifying. As soon as I saw them I knew it was likely herpes. I had all the symptoms. I went straight to the Dr. and she confirmed by sight. Waiting on results from the swab. This is a nightmare. Peeing is the worst. I immediately told the guy I've been seeing and the last guy I was dating several months ago. Both of them said they don't have it as far as they know. Both were super-supportive. Neither ever had a symptom. The one from several months ago tested negative on 6/1 snd got retested as soon as I told him and the guy I'm currently dating got tested yesterday and is waiting for results.

How likely is it that I could have had this for a long time and only recently after sex with someone new had a first noticeable outbreak? Again I've never experienced anything remotely like this.

And I keep reading that people can spread it without knowing they have it. If that's so how do you ever lower the risk?

Also, how long does it typically take the anti-viral meds to work and the wounds to heal? I'm at Day 3 and the sores are bleeding and blistering. I just want to be able to pee without crying out in pain.

Finally- assuming the meds clear this up-should I be taking a daily anti-viral?

What a nightmare on so many levels. This forum is everything right now.

Hi, @Esquire26, and welcome. The only way to know for sure if this is an existing infection or new infection is to have an IgG blood test done immediately. If the swab comes back positive for HSV and the blood test comes back negative, it's a new infection (because it can take up to 16 weeks for your body to produce enough antibodies to the virus to test positive on a blood test).

It is possible for someone to have the virus for years and then have a noticeable outbreak years later, but I've never seen any statistics on that.

Nearly 90% of people with genital HSV2 have no noticeable outbreaks, or their symptoms are so mild they're attributed to something else. I acquired it 18-25 years before getting the diagnosis and had no idea. Looking back, I attributed my mild symptoms to yeast infections. Because I've never had a primary outbreak and I don't get ulcers, I'm not in a good spot to offer advice on how long the healing process is or how to manage the pain. I would just encourage you to browse these forums as its a topic discussed pretty frequently. The search bar above is your friend, as are the FAQs at the top of the threads.

Whether or not you continue with antivirals after your outbreak has healed is up to you. There are two reasons to take them: (1) prevent or greatly reduce future outbreaks, and (2) reduce the chances of transmission to an H negative partner. Keep in mind that some of us have found one brand to be really effective, but another brand not effective at all, so don't be afraid to try a different antiviral if you want.

Because most people don't have symptoms--and thus don't know they have HSV--and it's not routinely tested for, plus you body silently sheds the virus from either the boxer shorts region or the mouth (depending on where you have it), that's how it is spread so easily. Taking a daily antiviral reduces chances of transmission by half, and using condoms reduce it another 30-50%. The e-book and handouts on this site talk more about transmission rates. There is no way to eliminate the risk of transmission entirely. Along those same lines, transmission is not always a given. It tends to happen early on in a reationship. I have both genital HSV2 and oral HSV1. (I'm assuming the location of HSV1 since I've never had a cold sore but that's statistically most likely.) I was married for 15 years and diagnosed after my divorce. I told my ex and he tested negative for both. That means I acquired it years earlier from one of a handful of short-term partners who I always used condoms with. Go figure!

A really great place to start for more information is these two links:

http://projectaccept.org/who-gets-hsv/

https://www.westoverheights.com/herpes/the-updated-herpes-handbook/

(I highly recommend Warren's full book, available in Kindle format on Amazon.)

A diagnosis can be a big shock--I know it was for me! And I sincerely hope your outbreak heals soon. Meanwhile, welcome again....you'll learn a lot from these forums. Including the fact that your life is not over and you *will* be okay. :) {{hugs}}