• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Conflicting information from Gyno & Doctor and this forum

My test results for HSV2 are 2.53 from the IgG serum test. My gyno told me it's unlikely that it's a false positive and I should alert my partners. I visited a PCP today who thinks my score is low and without ever having an outbreak, he and the CDC wouldn't consider me to have H. He's ordering another more specific blood test today to determine whether I actually have it.

Has anyone else had this experience?

I've mostly come to terms that I've had this, told 3 of the 5 people I needed to already, and come to find out that I may not actually have H. What would you do? I'm planning to tell my boyfriend tomorrow about my diagnosis but don't want to if it's false and cause him undue harm.

HELP

Anything above 1.1 is considered positive. That's probably the extent of your gynecologist's knowledge. Terri Warren, a nurse practitioner, herpes researcher, and former owner of an STD clinic for several decades says she's seen enough false positives for index values below 3.5 to recommend definitive testing with a western blot. Her book is available in Kindle format on Amazon, which is where I'm citing this information from.

I'd be curious to know what kind of test your PCP ordered. The only blood test more specific than theIgG is the western blot.

You might find this thread helpful:

https://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/8921/confusing-igg-results

I'm realizing that my gyno doesn't know much at all. I've read a lot of Terri's responses so I was aware of that as well.

My PCP ordered another IgG test as well as a Western Blot, which is great but confusing since I didn't think that was easy to get done at a normal doctor's office.

I'm overwhelmed by the conflicting information from 3 sources (gyno, PCP, and the info on this forum). It's shocking to me that my PCP said without an outbreak, he would never consider me to have H and that I wouldn't need to disclose to any partners.

It's awesome that he ordered the western blot for you. Sounds like he has some experience with this then. I feel your frustration with the conflicting information. At the end of the day, there are a lot of gray areas with herpes and everyone has their own opinions. That's why I'm a fan of the western blot....it's black and white!

@digitalmktggirl @HikingGirl I actually just heard this same thing again from yet another doctor, my PCP. Two gynos and one PCP with varying degrees of knowledge but all coming down to seeing herpes as herpes ulcers and dismissing risk of transmission in the absence of symptoms (and seeing "symptoms" as "vesicles" and nothing else). I don't know if this is strictly lack of knowledge or if their perception is colored by the fact that they focus on treating patients with obvious symptoms that reflect their perception of herpes. The approach of strictly addressing symptomatic patients (whose symptoms = obvious ulcers) is consistent with testing and treatment recommendations, and most of their patients would come up positive for HSV if tested, so I understand that approach, but it could be that they see herpes through a different lens for that reason.