• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Currently freaking out. Is this HSV2 or a cut from itching? (Story below)

I'm currently freaking out. I tested negative in May for HSV2 and my last date of exposure was January of 2017.

Last night I went to take a shower and felt this cut http://imgur.com/a/Y1xbv. I scratch this area often but I just got super scared and thought it was herpes.

I setup an appointment to get it looked at. I just can't wait that long, I'm losing my mind. I don't have any other symptoms and didn't see this Saturday or Friday. Is this herpes?

Its hard to say, the skin is so sensitive down there it is possible that its just a cut from scratching. There appear to be a couple other small open areas above the largest cut, which could go along with the "cluster" presentation of herpes. But even that isn't set in stone with how people present. The only definitive way to know is to have them swab the area when you're seen. Even if they aren't convinced that's what it is, insist on a PCR swab and then you'll know for sure. No matter the result and how scary the perspective of having the virus can be, you would know. And that is the most important thing! Your IgG (if that's the test you had done in May) would most likely have been positive that far out from exposure. You could always ask for another one of those as well. The test(s) can give you peace of mind if it/they come back negative

Hi, @isthishsv21. So your last IgG blood test in May of 2017 was negative for HSV2 and the last time you had sex or any kind of genital-to-genital contact was January of 2017? If so, you don't have HSV2. By the time you get to 16 weeks after possible exposure, virtually everyone with the virus will have built up enough antibodies to test positive on a blood test.

It is possible to get HSV1 genitally from receiving oral sex. Tons of people have oral HSV1 and most have never had a cold sore, so if you've received oral sex recently, that's something to consider, but honestly......it could be anything! Even medical doctors suck at trying to visually diagnose something like herpes.

When your appointment comes around, if you're still concerned about HSV, just ask for an IgG blood test (the IgM tests are notoriously inaccurate).

Got it. So if you both had IgG tests in May, testing negative for both HSV1 and HSV2, and neither of you had any other partners in the 16 weeks prior to that blood test (or since), I can't think of any scenario that would lead me to think you could have HSV now.