• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

GHSV1 and dating

Four years ago I found out I had genital HSV1. A few months after I found out I had it, I started seeing a guy. When I told him, he was totally accepting and didn't pass any judgement. He never brought it up and it was rarely an issue for us. He may have had an outbreak but we never found out for sure if I passed it to him because the results came back inconclusive. In the four years I've had it, I've had a total of three outbreaks including my first one. Me and the aforementioned guy broke up recently after 3 and had years together. Now that I'm entering the dating scene I don't know how to handle telling people. I'm not looking for a relationship right now, so I'm trying casual dating. It had been three years since my last outbreak when I had my third one two weeks ago. I actually almost forgot I had GHSV1 because it had been so long. But now it's all I can think about and I don't know how to handle telling people you're casually seeing. Any advice?

Hi @nature_girl75 and welcome! While I can't give you much advice on casual disclosures (I found out I have it two years into a relationship with someone I'm engaged to) I can tell you that reading through the category you posted in as well as "Herpes talk success stories" will be good starting points until others chime in. Also, have you checked out Ella Dawson? Google her, she has GHSV1 and talks about her experiences disclosing in her blog. And she is fantastic! I view her page often as well as her TED talk she has posted on there, I've watched it many times especially if I get down about it as its still new for me. There is also a handout on this website under "lifestyle guides" about disclosing. There's another post I was reading recently where someone was on a "disclosure spree" that I'll try to find and tag you in that you could read which I found very encouraging!