• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Sex with genital hsv 1, I'm new!

I was just recently diagnosed so I'm trying to gather information and learn how to live my life with herpes. So there's a few things I'm confused about. First of all neither my partner nor I have a penis and I just keep seeing "use a condom!" As the main way to protect your partner apart from valtrex which I will be taking daily. So what can I do? Is it safe for him to touch me? The nurse I asked this question to told me just dont have any sexual contact at all while you have an OB but otherwise disclose and you're fine, is it really that simple? And what about oral sex, am I okay to give? I have never had an OB in my mouth even though it is hsv 1. Am I ok to receive? Is genital-to-genital contact now out of the question since condoms aren't an option? The nurse I talked to wasn't very informative and made it seem like it was no big deal at all.

Hi, @Lizabee. Aside from taking antivirals and avoiding genital contact when you have an active outbreak, there's nothing else you can do. There will always be some element of risk, even if it's very small. Yes, it's safe for your partner to touch you if you're not having an outbreak. It is possilbe to transmit HSV to other parts of the body, but it's very rare. If your HSV1 is genital, then it's okay for you to give oral sex. It is possible that your partner could acquire oral HSV1 by giving you oral. Has your partner been tested for HSV?