• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV 1 and suppressive medication

Question.. I just found out yesterday that I tested positive for hsv1 genitally.. I know there is less chance of more OB's than with HSV2. I asked the clinic about taking suppressive meds.. they said it's not usually necessary. Is it necessary or can it help? I think it would ease my mind knowing that I'm taking them and am lessening the chance of giving this to someone else.. for the last week I've been too afraid to even touch my kids.. I know that's ridiculous and irrational thinking and they aren't going to get it from a hug but thats where my head is at the moment

Hi there and welcome! You're in the right spot for information. I was diagnosed with genital hsv1 about a month ago and have been researching ever since. Everyone's body reacts different to the virus so while in general type 1 on the genitals tends to cause less frequent outbreaks and also shed less, everyone is different. Suppressive daily medication can reduce your viral shedding so that you lessen the chance or transmitting to your partner and can also help reduce the number of outbreaks for the same reason.

As for touching your kids, don't be afraid! The norm is to wash ones hands after using the bathroom, as long as you practice that perfectly normal hygiene practice you're absolutely fine! If you had a cold sore, would you think that you couldn't touch them? It's the same exact virus. I know that it's hard to cope with at first and overwhelming, I still have my down days. But the more you research and know, and read on this forum, the better you will feel

Thanks for replying! I know I can't pass it on by hugging them or anything like that but sometimes by anxiety makes me think pretty irrationally. Im exposed to people with hep c and hiv and whatever else everyday at work.. I know all about these things but that didn't really matter over the past week while I was waiting for results. Im thinking that taking the suppressive meds would help and would definitely make me feel a little better by easing my mind but I know the people I've talked to have said it's not necessary. I've been trying to find more info about it so that I know what I'm talking about when I go to the dr so that I can better advocate for myself.. knowing that it is still effective for someone with hsv1 is very helpful for me.. thanks again