• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Just found out today. In so much pain, and I don't know how to keep it dry

I went to my doctors today to check on my IUD. While she's down there she notices the ulcers. I thought the pain was because I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis the day earlier. But she says they're on the vulva and cervix so it's most likely herpes. My partner noticed what he thought was a zit on the base of his penis last week, but we had sex anyway. Long story short, here I am. I'm still waiting on the pcr results, but being a nurse, I know these things take a few days. She started me on acyclovir.

So, with the bv, I have incredible discharge and it's almost 100 degrees out so I'm always damp down there. I read they need help drying out, so how the heck do I do that? I'm trying to manage the pain, but just peeing makes me want to cry. On top of that, I'm pretty sure I have some on my ass. It hurts like hell to poop.

Sorry, but I don't know where else to turn. I've told my partner, and he's in disbelief. Says he got checked a few months ago and was clean, but I also read that they don't commonly check for that?

Any good information for freaked out newbies would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Mygirl007 welcome to the community and I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I'm new to this as well and also a nurse, so we have those things in common. For me, I was so anxious I was constantly, and I mean constantly, sweating down there during my outbreak. Which made it impossible to let the open areas dry up. That and they were so close to my anal area that when I wiped after having a bowel movement I feel like I opened everything right back up. The open areas for me healed completely within two and a half weeks or so. There was a post on here about one of the moderators using alum ammonium powder on their open areas during outbreaks to help with healing. I have no personal experience with it but that particular moderator is a 35+ year veteran. When you pee, try pouring lukewarm water over the area simultaneously to dilute the urine.

They don't commonly check for HSV unfortunately, which I was shocked to learn myself.

They don't even educate health care providers properly on these viruses. And even if they did check him it takes a couple of months for the IgG anitbodies to be detectable in the blood so if he had a recent partner prior to the tests it may have not shown up. So many people have no symptoms or such mild symptoms (like what he thought was a pimple at the base of his penis) that they have no idea they carry the virus.

I know how difficult this is, trust me I'm living it right now as well. You're in the right place and I'm sure others will chime in with some helpful hints!

@Mygirl007 For myself, I soak in warm Epsom Salt baths and use the hair dryer set on the low, cool setting. I also go without underwear whenever possible. (Which I do anyway when I'm at home.) There have been many others on here that also suggest the Epsom Salt baths and hair dryer on the low, cool setting. From personal experience, it helps tons!