• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Recent Diagnosis and First Outbreak - SOS

Hi There,

I was very recently diagnosed (this morning) and am here looking for any support and advice on how to deal with the discomfort of a first outbreak. I am currently feeling an overwhelming mix of emotions between sad, disgusted, disappointed, frustrated, pained, and just plain upset. Those emotions coupled with the discomfort I'm currently feeling have sent me into a negative headspace. While I have a great support system (boyfriend, mom, best friend) I just am feeling low. I'm also feeling extreme discomfort from these sores that feel like a mine field and would love any tips on how to ease the discomfort. I took a like warm bath with tea tree oil and didn't feel and ounce of difference.

While I currently feel at my worst, I've been reading through the discussion board and am hopeful that one day I can also find the strength to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi @dancingqueen, I am recently diagnosed as well (tomorrow makes 3 weeks). I'm glad that you have a great support system, that is super important right now! I'm currently having many ups and downs dealing with the emotional side of things. The more support you have, the more it will help.

Epsom salt baths helped me during my outbreak. Blow drying any time that you bathe or shower can help keep the area dry to help the sores heal. When you use the bathroom try to blot dry instead of wiping. If you look through past posts or even search up at the top, you can probably find tons of recommendations from people who have more experience. Did they start you on an antiviral? Some say that helps their open areas heal faster. Take some comfort in that the first outbreak is *usually* the worst.

I know that I don't have much helpful advice, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this!

@ash2018 sounds like you are handling things well for just having been diagnosed. Good for you. It gets better! Do you have 1 or 2 and how soon after your encounter did you experience your symptoms? I'm not new to this, but am reading and studying more into the incubation period. It varies so much.

@Katidid I'm trying my best. Its a very important time in my life right now, I'm newly engaged and planning our wedding for next June. I don't always cope well, I have some very dark days still. I have HSV1 and I have no idea when I contracted it. My IgG was positive less than a month after I had symptoms, so I had the virus for at least a period of months. I've been with my fiance for two years. So I either contracted it before him, or he is an unknowing carrier of the virus. He hasn't been tested yet, the plan is to get him tested at some point, hopefully soon.

@ash2018 thank you so much! I didn't realize how much I needed a response from someone who had been recently diagnosed as well. I started an antiviral the same day and was told by day 3/4 I would start to be feeling better. I think that everyday I feel a little bit better and I can measure that in small ways. I made up a little mantra, "everyday gets better and tomorrow will be even better" (so corny but it's helped when I'm feeling low). I put that on repeat in my head when I'm feeling especially down and it's helped emotionally a bit.

What I'm struggling the most with is when and how this was contracted. My boyfriend has had no signs or symptoms but I know that doesn't rule him out as being a carrier. We've been together for quite a while in a committed and faithful relationship so I have no doubts. I just wish I could get specific answers and a specific timeframe to know. If anything, that's what is eating me up the most, and the feeling that I should alienate myself from people around me.

I really appreciate your comment to my initial post and even in my worst moments I'm hopeful It gets better.

@dancingqueen you're very welcome! I like your mantra :)

It can eat you alive to not know when or how you contracted it. In the end, it doesn't matter, but that doesn't prevent you from wanting to know. I have no idea where/when I contracted the virus. I'm engaged and have been with my fiance for two years in a faithful and committed relationship as well. My IgG test was positive a few weeks after I had symptoms (I did this as a follow up after the swab was positive), which shows me that it is very unlikely its a new infection. I have HSV1, which is known very commonly as the virus that causes "cold sores". The rate of diagnoses for new genital infections with HSV1 is increasing, very likely from oral sex. Who thinks of using protection for oral sex?? A lot don't know that you can even transmit that to the genital region, a lot don't know a cold sore is in fact herpes, and those who do know the above don't think you can transmit in the absence of a cold sore when you totally can. My fiance has not been tested yet which I think is one of the key parts in my healing. If he is positive for this strain we won't know who gave it to who or even if we both had it prior to meeting, we also wouldn't know where he carries it. I'm hoping that he will be tested soon so that we know one way or another what his status is. Is your boyfriend getting tested? Did they do both a blood test and swab on you? These can help some to determine whether its new vs old in that IgG antibodies won't show up when you're very newly exposed to the virus.

I too feel the need to alienate myself. I find myself not wanting to talk to friends because I feel like "how can I possibly be my cheerful self and act like everything is great when I have this going on?!". Talking to people on here has definitely been helpful to not feel so alone