• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Antivirals Question

I'm aware that antivirals such as Valtrex reduce the overall symptoms of a herpes outbreak and may even lower the chance of getting an outbreak in the first place. However, I'm most interested in how it reduces viral shedding. I know that take daily antivirals reduces the chance of transmission by a large amount - sex with condoms and antivirals female to male 1%. chance of transmission. But what I am wondering is... can you just start taking them and they are effective immediately? Or are they something you need to take for weeks or months for it to be effective in lower change of transmission?

Also, what are the other benefits of taking daily antivirals? I recently got herpes for the first time about 4 months ago and haven't had an outbreak since. I know that isn't too long of a time but are there certain people that may need to take antivirals more than others?

Please help, thank you:)

They are effective within a day or two.

The downside of this is that if you forget your daily pill it will increase the chance of transmission.

I cannot think of a benefit other than preventing outbreaks, reducing symptoms, and reducing shedding, although I don't really get what else you could want.

Some people who want to take them more than others are those who have more frequent outbreaks and those with an H- partner who want to reduce chance of transmission. Some people I think also just want/need to take them for some peace of mind! Which I think is fine too. I had one outbreak and went on them, more for peace of mind than anything. It all comes down to personal preference :)

As for forgetting your daily pill as mentioned in the post above, I have an alarm on my phone for my birth control daily so that I take it at a consistent time. I started taking the valtrex at the same time so that I am consistent in timing and don't forget!