• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

First Outbreak - Advice Needed for Unbearable Pain

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of my first outbreak. In addition to trying to cope emotionally and psychologically (HSV 2 I'm guessing), I'm in the worst pain of my life. I noticed the outbreak on Monday, it got severe by Wednesday, and today (Sunday night) I see no sign of healing. :( I can't walk, I can't leave my bed, I dread having to pee. And to add insult to injury, I also have two huge cold sores around my mouth, so it seems like I caught 2 x 1 herpes from a shitty one night stand.

I just finished the second day taking acyclovir 800mg 3x a day, and it seems I should decrease the dosage tomorrow. I'm also using Zovirax cream 5x a day, as well as Glyzigen spray and coconut oil/tea tree oil mixture. Every morning I hope the healing has begun, but every morning I'm disappointed, and the pain is honestly out of control. Has anyone had better luck with different meds?

I've done reading online, but I wondered if anyone could give me advice on how to speed healing or decrease the pain. I'm currently in Nicaragua, so I can get almost anything without a prescription, though I'm flying home in one week and I REALLY hope to be manageably healed/healing by then because I can't imagine taking such a long trip in this condition. Any advice???

Thank you!

Hi there,

First I want to say that I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Have you been tested? So that you can know which strain of the virus you are dealing with? Typically the first outbreak is the worst, so you can take some comfort in that. You usually read that people have a bad first outbreak and then get another some time later and go "that's it??". Your body is mounting an immune response and building antibodies to fight the virus. It has none when its infected and that's why the first outbreak is typically the worst. From what I've read and personal experience, the open areas need to be able to dry to crust over and heal. Applying the cream, spray, and oil mixture so frequently may not be allowing the areas to dry out and heal. If the acyclovir doesn't work for you, you could try valtrex. Famvir is a third antiviral but from what I've read not one that they typically use for the first outbreak for some reason (I don't remember why). The pain can be soothed some with taking epsom salt baths. When you get out of the bath or shower, use a blow dryer on the cool setting to gently dry the areas instead of using a towel. This will make sure that they get thoroughly dried and not irritated from being wiped with a towel. If you do use a towel, or when you wipe after the bathroom, try to blot dry.

Hopefully some others who have been dealing with the virus longer than I have will also chime in with helpful suggestions!

Hi. During my first outbreak 1000mg Valtrex gave me relief 2 days after I started taking it. The blow dryer definitely helps. Also wearing no underwear or only cotton underwear(if you must wear undies) helps, and try to wear loose bottoms, it makes walking a little easier and reduces chaffing in the area. When peeing try covering the area with tissue to reduce splashing on the area. I hope this helps.

Thank you both. I don't have a bathtub right now, so I'm just peeing in the shower because DAMN that shit hurts. I hope to God this is the worst it will ever be, because I don't think I could handle this kind of outbreak again. It has literally immobilized me. I'm very slowly feeling like I've passed the worst of it though, and my energy levels are back up. But it doesn't matter because I still can only lay in my bed. I will be the healthiest person in the world to make sure this never happens again!!

My stupid doctor had me do a blood test less than a week after I believe I contracted the virus, and I hadn't read enough to question her. So the IgG results were negative for both type 1 and type 2, but I obviously have one (or both).

Type 1: 0.600

Type 2: 0.100

I guess I will wait a few months and then do another blood test. I really wish she had done the swab test instead.

You almost certainly have hsv1 since cold sores are almost always hsv1. No one will be able to speculate on the genital herpes without a test. The symptoms are the same.

If you didn't have oral sex that changes the equation.

Jeff, we did have oral sex, a lot. And used a condom during 90% of the penetrative sex. I also have one blister randomly on my chest. And the blisters all broke out at the same time. All of this is leading me to believe it is HSV 1. I will do a blood test in a few months after I've had the virus longer, but I read that 40% of first-time genital outbreaks are potentially from HSV 1. So I can dare to hope this is HSV 1 and not HSV 2?? Oh my god, the relief of that would be enormous since it means I might never ever have another genital outbreak!

Based on all that yes it is quite a bit more likely to be double hsv1 than 1&2. Which is a big improvement over having both, for both fewer symptoms and less stigma.

Still, for the next 3 months at least you should live life as if you potentially have both. I'd advise against any sexual contact for at least 3 months.