• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Hubby had first outbreak of HSV 2 2.5 Weeks ago; Still in Pain. Ideas for Reducing Pain?

Hi, So my husband was just diagnosed with HSV 1 and 2 about 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. He has had HSV 1 for sometime, but just had the first outbreak for HSV 2 in his genital region... His doc prescribed 500 mg of valtrex and told him to take 1 pill per day, 2 if needed (for pain). My hubby is in varying amount of pain daily in his genital region. (His doc went on vacation shortly after the diagnosis and won't be back for another week, and my hubby doesn't want to deal with another doc.) So, short of "waiting it out," is there any other option? I looked into a numbing gel for him, but he said it didn't really work. Same with ice...Any other ideas of what would work on the pain? I hate to see him in this constant pain.

Thank you in advance!

Hi @EHL. If he's not already at the 1 pill twice a day level, I would start with that. 500 mg of Valtrex taken once a day is often used for suppressive therapy (to prevent outbreaks), while 500 mg taken twice a day is the recommended dose for episodic therapy.

In the interest of full disclosure, my outbreaks are very mild and I have not needed to use most of these suggestions. But I've heard them from reading and from other posts, so I'll mention them anyway in case one of them helps your hubby.

-Topical pain relieving sprays (available OTC with lidocaine or xylocaine in them)

-Urinating into water (if the lesions are internal)

-Wearing loose clothing

-Keeping the area cool and dry (a blow dryer on the cool setting after a shower is perfect for this--I learned this trick when I was having frequent yeast infections and I still do it daily!)

-A sitz bath with some kind of drying agent like Burrows Solution or Epsom salts. I've heard people say this might not be very comfortable if the lesions are still pretty raw.

-A moistened but cool tea bag (black tea) placed against the lesion.

-Tea tree oil is great for itching, but MUST be diluted (like with a wet cotton square or coconut oil. A little goes a long way here! Also probably best used on lesions that are healing nicely and not open ones. This would likely hurt like hell on an open sore.

-Rubbing coconut oil on the sores.

-Lysine supplements help some. There's no research to back it up, but if I were in pain, I'd be willing to try it.

My last suggestion is a little unconventional, and frankly, I'm nervous about mentioning it for fear of being laughed out of the room, but I'm a huge fan of vitamin C so I'll just say it anyway. Vitamin C has strong antiviral properties and it has saved me from a viral infection induced vertigo years ago which the regular doctors couldn't figure out, and countless colds. On Amazon you can get packets of liposomal vitamin C (about a dollar a packet--I won't pretend it's cheap) which has great absorption if you take it internally (just put a little water in a shot glass, add the packet of goo and take like a shot). I've had HSV2 for a couple of decades and never had an actual raised bump/sore until last year. Out of desperation, I opened a packet of the liposomal C and applied it to the sore a few times a day. It does not sting. I swear that thing was healed in no time. Now for the love of god, do not open a vitamin C capsule and apply the powder instead because it's cheaper. Vitamin C powder is ascorbic acid...note the word acid. :-). Fine taken internally, but not on an open herpes sore. If you want to try it anyway, mix it with a little baking soda to cut the acidity and experiment slowly.

Good luck and if you find any other treatments that work for him, we'd love to hear about them!

@HikingGirl, Thank you so much!! I'll pass these on to my hubby. I really appreciate all the suggestions! I'll be sure to let everyone know if he/we come up with another treatment. :)