• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Am I More Contagious Than Other People?

This may sound like a dumb question. My first outbreak ever was pretty bad. Very ugly and a lot of blisters all over. I could barely walk for two days. Everything cleared up in about a week without antivirals. However, for the future, does this make me somewhat more contagious? Like, I got more blisters because more of the virus was shedding or becoming active in my body? Compared to someone that shows little to no symptoms I must be more contagious.

I don't think that this has anything to do with you being more contagious, except when the lesions are open those are contagious. The initial outbreak can be pretty bad and is usually the worst. Did you get the diagnosis confirmed by a swab? Which type did it show? The virus strain can have an impact on how much you shed the virus, but other than that having a bad outbreak doesn't have anything to do with how contagious will be

@peanutbutter You are more likely to transmit the virus when you're having an active outbreak, and it's true that in general you're shedding the virus more often in the first 6-12 months after acquiring the virus. It's entirely possible that someone else with no recognizable symtoms is shedding the virus asymptomatically even more often than you are. Like @ash2018 suggested, determining which type you have will give you an idea of how often others with the same type shed on average. But the truth of the matter is, it's a little different for everybody.

I don't think this has anything to do with being more or less contagious or how many more breakouts you will encounter....my initial breakout was some 30 years ago, so many, painful, unable to walk like yourself, I landed in er. I did not know then it was h2. I went the next 30 years without one noticeable symptom, then one day 1 lesion appeared on the inside. Also, as far as I am aware, gave it to no one.

There is really no rhyme or reason to any of this, we all react different.