• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Just diagnosed with herpes

Hey guys, as much as I was hoping I didn't have this I do .. just got my results back today and it was HSV1 & 2 IGM 1.70 positive, the doctor didn't really act like it was a big deal and also didn't prescribe anything. What she explained to me is that they tested me to see if I had an old infection in which they used the igg test (both hsv1 & 2 igg results are 0.10 negative) and then they tested for a recent infection which is why they used the IGM test.

My questions now are is this number going to keep climbing ? Because it was equivocal before

Is everyone I come into contact with going to get this?

Because the 1 & 2 results were combined would that mean that I also had a recent infection for hsv2?

(Testing is really confusing)

How do I know for sure if I have it on my genitals ?

(All the doctor said was this is very common and you get it from kissing then asked was "did he perform oral? Then kind of nodded her head yes)

The IgM test is said to be unreliable. I would wait and retest your IgG levels in 4 months from potential exposure to see if you've developed antibodies to the virus(es). The blood tests unfortunately don't tell you where you have it (oral vs genitals), you would need an outbreak to know that for sure.

I'm sorry you haven't gotten replies until now, sometimes people I think don't contribute if they don't think they personally can be of help and sometimes people just aren't on the site. Don't get discouraged! It's a great site.

You're welcome! A lot of doctors are not well educated on the viruses which is very unfortunate. Even my midwife who seems pretty well educated on it, performed the IgM on me, prior to me reading about that being unreliable. You could wait and retest in a few weeks or months and see if your IgG levels change, or you could seek out a western blot test. This test I've read is what those who get unclear results (such as a low positive IgG reading) do to verify if they actually have the virus or not. The western heights clinic in Washington state (I believe that's the name) is a good resource for this. The test is only performed in one lab nationwide so it is something a lot of doctors don't know about or use unless specifically asked. Google the test and how to get it done if this is something you're interested in for the purpose of getting answers

I did a test back in may and the igg results stayed the same for hsv2( 0.10)(they didn't test igg for hsv1) but the igm results went from 1.0 equivocal to 1.70 positive(both combined test hsv1&2), I don't have any physical symptoms besides me going crazy and feeling tingling in my lips all the time and in my vagina as well as having a red spot come and go the longest it would stay is some hrs and thee doctors looked and can't seem to find anything, every little thing I feel I get scared, I don't even want to go outside .. I need some relief it's been like 3 months of me worrying and driving myself crazy, I'm so sad ..

I can totally relate to that. My anxiety was so high until I got a diagnosis that I couldn't function correctly for a couple of weeks. And then after diagnosis everyone would repeatedly ask what was wrong because I was so withdrawn and sad. I've since started to come out of that but struggle sometimes. I was only diagnosed a little over two weeks ago.

My suggestion would be to get the western blot test done. I wouldn't trust only the IgM being positive if it were me. This will give you the peace of mind and you will know your status, no matter what that status is. The first step to healing is knowing!

You're very welcome! I did not get the western blot test. For me, I had an outbreak and the open area was swabbed and was positive for HSV1. I then had follow up blood work which showed my HSV1 IgG to be 9.48 (so a definite and established positive) and my HSV2 IgG to be < 0.91 which is negative. My results were cut and dry, which I am thankful for. But I have read others posts about getting the western blot done to verify or confirm their diagnosis

Thank you so much! My post was long, so thank you for reading! True love does indeed prevail :) I am so happy to have him and he has been my biggest encourager through this. He is constantly trying to frame this in a positive light for me and doesn't understand why it upsets me so much. Which is easier for him as he hasn't experienced the physical aspect of it, but I am still thankful he thinks this way. Once I get back to feeling normal physically, and I'm confident I will at some point, I think that will make me feel even better mentally as well