• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

How recent is recent?????

I got the call from the doctor (although I already knew cause I went to the hospital, the ER didn't tell me this info) that I have type 2 & that "word I can't remember" came back negative which means it was recent. I thought I knew who it was but I guess it depends how recent, recent is...months-years...anyone know?

Sounds like the swab was positive and the blood test was negative? If so, it can take up to 16 weeks to test positive on a blood test (although 70% of those infected will test positive by week 6).

The blood test was negative? My doctors office sucks I didn't get much info.

And well I never got tested for herpes just the basic stds, but the assistant said it was recent so I'm guessing they can tell if I've had it over a year per say..

I was just making a deductive guess based on the original post. Typically, one of the only ways to know that acquiring HSV was recent is when a swab test comes up positive and a blood test (done at the same time) comes up negative. That's because the blood test measures antibodies to the virus, and it takes time for your body to make enough of them to be detected with a blood test. You can always call your doctor's office and ask for a copy of the lab results if their phone messsge was unclear.

I was just making a deductive guess based on the original post. Typically, one of the only ways to know that acquiring HSV was recent is when a swab test comes up positive and a blood test (done at the same time) comes up negative. That's because the blood test measures antibodies to the virus, and it takes time for your body to make enough of them to be detected with a blood test. You can always call your doctor's office and ask for a copy of the lab results if their phone messsge was unclear.

Oh I see. Ok thank you