• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

What can I expect from my first year with HSV2?

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with HSV2 yesterday after some painful sores popped up a couple days ago. I'm having one hell of an OB - just when I thought it was slowing down, more sores appeared. My doctor put me on antivirals for the next 10 days and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that will help because it's getting hard to pee and walk.

My question is, what was your first year with HSV2 like? I've done enough reading to know that everyone's experiences are different, but I cant help but be curious. My doctor only gave me antivirals for this one outbreak - should I ask to have some on hand for when another inevitably comes? The doctor also said that future outbreaks will tend to be small (one or two sores) - is this true?

I also have been reading that the herpes has forced people to get creative with their sex lives. Does anyone have any tips? I'm single and while I'm definitely nervous to tell future partners, I've also read a lot of the disclosure stories on here and they have given me so much hope.

Thanks everyone, this forum and all of the contributors are seriously a godsend. I hope that I can be as helpful to others in providing information/guidance once I know more myself.

Welcome, @soreswontgetmedown! I'm sorry I'm not much help with this one as I fall into the symptoms-so-mild-I-didn't-know-I-had-herpes category, but you might be able to find some existing stories using the search bar at top right. That may also help you to find some of the topical remedies that have helped others get through their initial outbreaks.

When you get close to finishing your current prescription, you can always call the doctor's office and ask for another prescription to either help you finish out your current outbreak or be prepared for the next one. Don't be afraid to try different antivirals as well if you think one of them isn't working for you. A number of people on here have found some work better than others for them.

As you're learning and reading about HSV, you could also pay special attention to what prodrome symptoms are like. If you learn to recognize them in your own body and start taking an antiviral immediately, it's been shown to make that next outbreak less severe.

Finally, you may find keeping a calendar helpful. A part of me struggles with recommending that because I hate to suggest people obsess and focus on herpes symptoms, but I've found it really helpful in getting to know my own body and recognizing what a prodrome or outbreak feels like for me. It may also help you to figure out if you're prone to certain triggers (stress, certain foods, your monthly cycle, sex, etc.) or if the outbreaks seems to be more random.

Here's to hoping this first outbreak heals quickly!

Sorry to hear about your tough first outbreak that really sucks.

HSV 2 varies so much person to person. I'm 7.5 months in now. My original ob had about 12 sores and lasted about 3 weeks. It was itchy, especially the first few days, but never painful.

Since then, I've had two mini outbreaks ( 1-2 sores), and one more full outbreak (maybe 7 sores). The second full one was a month ago and again lasted 3 weeks.

As for AVs, I agree, ask your doctor for a large supply so you can have them on hand. They aren't addictive pain meds so he or she shouldn't have a problem giving you access. I only use them during obs (that's common), but if you plan to be active in the dating scene with negative people you will need them daily.

Your doctor is definiey right that future outbreaks will be smaller, but 1-2 sores is optimistic, especially given that you're having a bad first ob (people with rough obs tend to have worse ones in the future than those with almost unnoticeable primary obs). Still, remember you're going through the absolute worst of it now, and it WILL get better. And that applies to the mental side as well as the physical side.