• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Newly diagnosed and don't know what to do?

I am thankful for this site! I was feeling so lost and ashamed. I was newly diagnosed - confirmed - just days ago but knew I had herpes. I had one outbreak on my gentials this last December and confused on my test results. Perhaps I have HSV1 and 2 because my test results for IGG came back as 7 for HSV1 and a 3 for 2. Do you have any thoughts to share on this?

Also I have only been with 2 people in the last 7 years! One is my long term ex boyfriend of 6 years whom I was faithful to the entire time and another man I slept with after my ex and I broke up. He ended up moving away to Califnornia so I never saw him again or heard from him. I did sleep with my ex after for a short time unprotected as we were trying to work things out so not sure which one of

Them gave me H.

Newly back in the dating scene Only to find out I have H! I finally found this man I really like and has all the qualities I want in someone for a LTR and future partner. I just don't know what to do and how I am going to tell him. I have already ran away once meaning I self subtobged our dating in the beginning by being distance and acting like I wasn't interested when I really was. My mind hasn't fully grasped it yet.

I will also post this in disclosure as well and edit with the full story. This one was Mainly for the test results.

Welcome, @MsSweets! HSV is far more common that many of us ever realized, and it's possible to get it even using condoms or during your very first sexual experience. It's a myth that only promiscuous people get herpes.

HSV1 (usually oral, but can be transmitted genitally through oral sex) is extremely common. I've read estimates ranging from 50-90% of Americans. Most of us picked it up as kids and only a third of those with oral HSV1 ever have a cold sore. There's not a lot of data with genital HSV1 (at least that I know of), but with genital HSV2, 80% of those with the virus either have no symptoms at all or the symptoms are so mild they're mistaken for something else (ingrown hairs, jock itch, yeast infections, etc.).

IgG index values (the number) over 1.1 are considered positive (see caveat in next paragraph). Beyond that, the number really doesn't mean anything (it doesn't tell you how long you've had it and it doesn't mean you're more or less infectious....it just means you have the virus). It's usually very difficult to know who gave you herpes unless: you've only had one partner; your former partners test for it and only one of those people tests positive; or else you had an outbreak, tested positive on a swab test and negative on a blood test right away (it takes several weeks for a newly infected person to test positive on a blood test).

Terri Warren, an expert on herpes, has found that there can be false positives when your index value falls between 1.1 and 3.5, and she recommends a more sensitive test called the western blot to confirm. My index value for HSV2 was 3.27 and I later tested positive with the western blot, but your index value is low enough it's something to consider. Because the test is only done at the University of Washington, not every doctor is familiar with it or willing to order it. And although Terri Warren has closed her clinic, she still helps people obtain the test if you want to get it. More information is found here: https://www.westoverheights.com/herpes/getting-a-western-blot/

Do read through posts in the disclosure and success stories categories. I haven't had enough disclosures to really be of much help with that!

Thank you @hikingGirl I checked out the website and do you happen to know how much the test costs? Also I realized something the skin disease doesn't stop me from being me and I can't let it alter my life. I'm a very active person and have been competing this entire year and now I found out I have this but I can't let it stop me because as of currently I'm in The best shape of my life! Even more so than when I was in my young 20s! I have ran 5 half marathons this year and planning to finish out the rest of the year with a bang. Last night I thought of different ways to disclose in a confident way then I woke up this morning and realized herpes can't let it change me because I'm still me at the end of the day and you only live once! We will see about this though when I get rejected and hopefully I do not.

When I took it, it was $250 I think. Her clinic was still open then and I was participating in a study of hers. Not sure of the cost now, but can't imagine one year would make a drastic difference. I believe she also requires a video consultation now, which I think the site described as an extra fee.

Five half marathons!! That's terrific. Clearly, you are a rock star. :-)