• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Never had any symptoms?

I've been with my live in boyfriend for 4 years, we recently got married. I'm 45 and he's 46. We took physicals before having sex 3 or 4 month's into our relationship and were both clean. We recently took blood tests to move out of the country and mine came back positive for HSV 2 IgG 6.01. It reads antibodies detected for HSV2. We have had sex with no protection for 4 years, on average 3 times per week. His results were negative. I dont have any outbreaks or signs. I'm so sad and confused. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know what it's like to feel blindsided by test results, and you may need time to feel feelings about this, but it will get better with time.

What you have described is not an uncommon scenario. Most standard STI panels do not include HSV testing, so many people assume they have been tested for "everything" when they have not. Additionally, most people with genital herpes are either asymptomatic or have symptoms so mild, they go unrecognized or mistaken for another mild skin condition (source: https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes-detailed.htm).

Also, please know that HSV2 is extremely common among women in our age group. I'm in my late 40's and was surprised to learn how very prevalent it is among our peers. You are far from alone, except you know your status while most people HSV2+ people don't.

Hang in there! (((HUGS)))

I hear ya, @Feli71. I too was blindsided with a diagnosis at 42, and when my ex-husband of 16 years tested negative for HSV (we used no condoms or antivirals since I didn't know I had it), I was stunned to realize I acquired it 18-25 years earlier and had no obvious symptoms all those years. Just some itching and a very rare bit of redness that stung in the shower. Now I know that the STD testing I had done before getting married most likely did not include HSV.

Most of my symptoms were itching, and I always attributed that to recurrent yeast infections which often seemed to be tied to my monthly cycle. The redness I had was usually in just one spot in the fold of my labia. And that area is already red! I would never have noticed except sometimes if I sprayed water on it in the shower, it stung. I thought maybe it was just irritation from sex and it was extremely rare. Just last Thanksgiving I had my first actual bump....on the opposite side of my labia and nearly passed out because I had never seen a different symptom. Valtrex didn't do anything or me, but I've been thrilled with how well acyclovir is working. I love not having such frequent itching!!

Thank you for your responses. Interesting. I contracted it through just one encounter. I had the test taken 2 weeks after the encounter and it was 1.19 on the IGG for HSV 2. I'm getting tested again in 12 weeks to see if the number changes per Terri Warren's recommendation. The person with whom I had the encounter was tested and is high positive for HSV 2. The symptom I had was itchy rash on the scrotum and I also got a blood blister on the cuticle of my index finger which I thought might be Whitlow. According to Terri Warren it is highly unusual for hsv-2 to show up as a rash on your scrotum.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.