• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV-2 + Sex + Kissing + Isolated Site = Confusing

So, I know my HSV-2 Infected site, and that is, on the bottom of my chin (apparently this is rare). The only way I can think of how I got this was going "down" on a girl a long time ago. Every time the outbreak happens in the exact same spot, at the bottom of my chin on the bottom left corner of my face. Haven't had one in a couple years luckily, but I still test positive for Type 2, and NOT Type 1 antibodies. Never had an outbreak in the genital region, where Type 2 is supposed to house, not even a tingle. So I'm convinced that area must be free from infection.

The question is, (1) knowing that Type 2 is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact, and my infected site is NOT inside my oral mucosa, Can I still transmit it by kissing (french kissing) a partner mouth-to-mouth through saliva? AND (2) can I still transmit it during regular intercourse if the infection site is not in the genital region?

From what I have read, and mode of transmission, this does not seem to be the case. I just don't want to have this uncertainty linger in the back of my mind every time I kiss or become intimate, if there's really no reason for it.

No I actually have never had it swabbed, and as I said it's been a couple years since it happened, so that would be impossible at this time. It happened about 5 times total since 2010 or so...., the first 3 being the worst and more frequent, and I was ignorant, nor had the proper medication to attack it; it came in a single spot about 1 cm round and it was ugly. The last two times I was ready, and hit that MF with Valtrex when I felt the swelling coming, and the skin didn't even break before it dissappeared, so the Valtrex definitely did something. That's why I don't think it's unrelated, because it responded to Valtrex, it was clearly a herpes sore, and I have Type 2, which can sometimes appear in the face. (What the hek else could it be?)

I suppose I should mention that I have been intimate with one girl for several years. (she knows the situation, and is ok with it) We are completely comfortable with each other at this point and do not use barriers. The only thing we don't do is kiss. She Tested negative for HSV-2, last time she checked a few months back, which is surprising, considering the fact that we haven't been using protection for about 2 years solid.

Huh. I can see why you made that connection. The next time you have an outbreak, if it were me, I'd be really curious to have it swabbed and typed (most effective if it's an open sore). I've heard even the IgG blood test misses a significant percentage of HSV1 infections. Before I went the rest of my life with minimal kissing, it might be worth a shot. After all, I think toothpaste is super effective for mosquito bites, although that's no what it was designed to do! Also, a lot of people have genital HSV2 and still transmit from their genitals but have no symptoms at all. I'm definitely not trying to be argumentative... Just another perspective for consideration.