• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Testing for 1 or 2?

Is there a test to pinpoint if you have one or the other? My 16 to daughter is newly DX and had a culture done that came up positive for herpes simplex. She has a first time horrible outbreak. We are trying to pin this to a boyfriend or ex, but not sure how to figure out who she got it from. She is on some antibiotics and valtrex. I'm also afraid of getting this somehow. The doctors don't seem to care which you have, just take a pill and deal with it.

An IgG blood test is what you should ask for. The test measures not the virus, but antibodies your body produces in response to the virus. It takes anywhere from a couple of weeks up to 4 months to build up enough antibodies to show up on a test. If the culture came back positive and the blood test comes up negative, it means it's a new infection. If she tests positive now on the blood test, it may not be possible to know when she acquired it or from whom. One of the reasons herpes is so widespread is because most people have no idea they have it, and they unknowingly pass it on to others. I found out I had it after my divorce. When my ex tested negative, that meant I'd had it for 18-25 years and had absolutely no idea.