• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Outbreak of Ingrown hair?

Backstory: I had what I believed to be my first outbreak back in mid-December of 2016. Went to a free clinic and got a blood test (which I was told afterwards was only for type 2) and a culture swab. Blood test came back negative, however the culture test came back positive for GHSV-1. To be totally honest I'm still in a sort of denial. I have been planning on going to my actual doctor to get retested because I've read that it's best to get retested a few months after the initial outbreak. I think I'm too scared because then there will be no denying it. But I digress...

So I started shaving again about a month/month and a half after my initial outbreak and have been habitually keeping it up. Also, about a week and a half ago I had really dry sex with a guy I've been seeing on and off (no condom). And my downstairs has been in distress since. I felt discomfort and some itching (which I associated with growing pubic hairs). I also had thick/chunky discharge that I found contributed to the itching. That's all cleared up now. What I did notice yesterday was that I had a few small cuts down at the bottom of my vaginal opening, going towards my anus. That sort of freaked me out. Today I decided to shave and found a bump high up on my outer labia near my pubic area. It's small a little red (most likely due to shaving) and it looks like it might have white in the center. But it looks exactly the same as one that I have above in my pubic area which I'm sure is an ingrown hair since my initial outbreak did not reach that area.

Question: So finally, my question...due to all this recent craziness and the stress it's been causing me, could I be having an outbreak or could that possibly be an ingrown hair and should I not freak out about it? My initial outbreak was pretty gruesome so I'm not sure what a mild/regular outbreak is like.

• 6 months later...

Why do you feel the need to get retested? Is there a reason you don't believe the culture test? Retesting is necessary if you are negative, but not for a positive culture or PCR result, if there are no questions concerning the integrity of the test. Whether this is a ingrown hair or not will be difficult to say. GHSV-1 does not often reoccur, with some people never having other outbreak again so this may not be herpes, but simply a ingrown hair.

May I ask why does it matter, if it is a ingrown hair or atypical herpes lesion?

@Jack101 Many people, myself included, like to know what's going on with their bodies. There have been many people say that their outbreak symptoms have been atypical, and presented as something other than the lesions we all know as herpes lesions. It's very helpful to know what is an outbreak and what isn't, so we can avoid sex during these times, and lessen the risk of transmitting it to someone who doesn't have herpes.

Sorry, my last comment did not convey the intent of my question. There are multiple sites available online that will help you distinguish an ingrown hair from herpes. A google search should reveal abundant information. The most obvious is to look for a hair follicle protruding or soon to protrude (creates a shadow) from the lesion. You can use a mirror or your phone to take a picture of the lesion and magnify the lesion for better viewing. What a meant to state is that atypical herpes lesions by nature are difficult to define and rare herpes lesions can involve a hair follicle, hence the term asymptomatic shedding (is there really such a thing or are the lesions just too difficult to define).

In addition, the transmission rate for GHSV-1 by genital to genital sex is less than GHSV-2 due to a number of factors, including over 67% of the global population is already infected with HSV-1. Of note, one of the reasons postulated for the increasing number of GHSV-1 infections is the decrease in the sero-prevalance of HSV-1 orally. It is noted that those with HSV-1 orally can catch GHSV-1 genitally, but it seems uncommon. In addition, it is hard to know if those that catch GHSV-1 genitally actually had HSV-1 orally. Many people often confuse cold sores (HSV-1 and rarely HSV-2) with angular chelitis giving them the false impression they have HSV-1.