• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I feel like I've lost a weapon. UK Story

So I've had HSV2 for 3 years now. I've been lucky and every guy I've disclosed to has accepted it and still wanted to have an intimate relationship with me. Recently I'm at the cusp of having a casual relationship with a person I've known for about a year, so went to the doctors today to get a course of daily suppressants that I've read so much using this forum and other sites.

But apparently they don't do this in the UK! I knew there are side effects but didn't think much of this since I was thinking this wouldn't be a long term thing with the man in question. The doctor said they don't prescribe it for taking everyday just for outbreaks because of the side effects. She said I'd have to have regular blood tests if I was on it daily.

So now I feel like I've lost one of my weapons when I disclose to people :(

The rate of transmission is always going to be higher now.

Just needed to rant to you guys cos I'm feelinglis down now. I'm pretty much over the stigma of having herpes but this was a very annoying blow and now I'm going to have to let my potential partner know and give him the option to re-think things

Hopefully others in the UK will chime in here, but is it possible a different doctor may be more willing to prescribe? That was my experience in the U.S. The medical professional who diagnosed me told me antivirals were not appropriate for me and became hostile, actually shouted at me, when I brought up asymptomatic shedding. I then made an appointment with another person in the practice and explained exactly why I wanted to take antivirals. He also said antivirals were not necessary for me but he was willing to listen to my concerns and ultimately agreed to prescribe.

As for reassuring partners, some doctors do not understand that aspect. My own doctor was completely stunned when I told him the person I was dating had too much anxiety to continue. He seemed to have no idea this happens. He had a lot of harsh words to say about the guy. But he did ultimately agree to prescribe for me. At that time, my goal was to reduce transmission risk and reassure potential partners, but once I started taking antivirals, I learned they also help me feel more calm and confident about it (transmission risk), so that was a hidden benefit I hadn't anticipated. Not to say it's the right choice for everyone.

@SageBrush go to a GUM clinic and tell them you're having regular outbreaks. If they dont give you 3 months worth, go to another clinic and tell them the same thing. I've found each nurse has a different approach.. if that fails, I've got a load unopened which I don't plan to use.