• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV 2, and maybe 1. Partner is 2. What do we need to know?

I'm just off a phone call to my doctors office. They are useless.

I had an initial outbreak with no flu symptoms. Saw the doctor, they did no swab. (Of course, I had no idea what to ask for!) She told me I had herpes and then sent me out of the exam room. Joy. I get to wait in the main area with all the expectant parents while I'm sobbing. That same evening, symptoms of flu appeared. They did do an IGM blood test that day, (only after I requested it) which turned out negative...then sent me home with no guidance or information. In fact, even after her diagnosis they kept telling me it could be something else, even with the outbreak symptoms.

I've since had another test by request. This office ordered another IGM of course. The second was about a month after the primary outbreak and is now positive for both 1 & 2. Because it's an IGM, I'm wondering if it's worth doing a single IGG test to see if I really have 1. Do I need to bother? I've never had symptoms for that at all that I'm aware of. What does it mean for him? He is only type 2. I'm so worried about kissing him or ever doing oral again...I don't want to infect him with another problem. It's really bothering me to think of it. I cannot relax when we are together and my head worries about sharing it with him. We are a long distance couple, so I like to enjoy our time, it is precious!

I'm so tired of fighting with this drs office. I've been going there for 15 years, but they are totally useless to me with this virus. They don't see it as a problem to be without an answer, and I feel lost. I'm going to find another practice, but don't have a family doctor yet to ask for this test... All they did was give me a pamphlet (a month later) about the genital virus. I paid out of pocket for the second rests and for an office visit that was total crap. She told me stats (which were wrong, according to what I've read here; she said 50% of the population have it) and handed me that paper.

Today I called to see if they could do an IGG, and they gave me the runaround. It's like they don't think it's important to know... The nurses act like they are amazed I even want to know. The one had never heard of a Western blot, and kept mixing up the two Igm and IGG tests.

I'm not concerned about the skin problem, after joining this group...but I'm concerned about kissing my boyfriend, and infecting him. I'm concerned about oral sex and would I possibly infect him? I'm wondering if I could infect friends who shared a sip of my drink... Is there anywhere I can find the answers to these questions? Should I pay for the better test? Should I do it now, about 2 months out, or wait a bit longer? Maybe I should just chill and forget about it. I hope someone has some suggestions. I'm sad that my health provider seems so useless when so many women have this.