• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Oral HSV 1 at the dentist

Today I went to the dentist and when I looked over, I realized the woman who had worked on me last appointment is enormously pregnant. I immediately became very worried that I may have infected her because last time and this time, I have a cold sore. I called ahead of time and warned the office and they said not to reschedule and to just come in. However, last week I told a new mother who I was to babysit for that I had a cold sore and was not sure if she wanted me to work still. She said "sure"- until she called her doctor. Then she cancelled instead. I have had cold sores my whole life and never felt so worried until more recently, because I did not know I was a threat in such situations. I also did not know I was contagious when I did not have an outbreak until my bf pointed it out two years ago because he was convinced I'd given oral HSV 1 to him. Months later he tested negative, but since then I have been very, very paranoid and wash my hands constantly and am extremely anxious around all my friends who have babies. I never knew until recently that I might infect a baby, or spread this without any symptoms. I thought that was for HSV 2, and more so for those who have actual episodes- and then shedding between outbreaks. I don't know why it did not occur to me that the viruses would act in the same way. I know they are essentially the same and yet this escaped me.

The dentist and assistant should be wearing gloves when they work on you. I wouldn't worry to much about them. Herpes is spread by skin to skin contact. As long as you don't kiss the baby and keep your hands clean you shouldn't be putting the baby in any danger. Perhaps if you wore nitrile gloves while changing diapers and bathing will help put your mind at ease.