• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Genital HSV1.

I'm 19 and technically still a virgin. About a half-year ago I received oral sex from someone, a few months later I started getting painful symptoms down there. It was hard to convince my doctor I had it because he kept dismissing it as something else not to worry about, like an ingrown hair. I was negative for HSV2 even months after the oral sex. The symptoms would go away or heal before the doctor appointment so he couldn't swab anything or be sure of what it was. Blood test showed positive for HSV1, and the latest symptom was a coldsore below the waistline, so I know for sure its GHSV1. When I started getting symptoms I had all the emotions you'd expect, right now I feel that GHSV1 is just a different type of genital herpes with the same stigma as HSV2. I guess I'm just really unfortunate, catching it the way I did and getting painful symptoms too. I feel really sad whenever I think about it...and feel even worse when I get symptoms.

Remember that the HSV2 virus is also just a "cold sore" for some. Herpes is basically just cold sores where HSV1 thrives on the upper part of the body and HSV2 thrives on the lower part. Just because you had a cold sore below the waist line, it does not mean that it is HSV1. If I were you I would go to the doctor and insist on getting your sores swapped the next time they show up. GHSV1 is usually a lot milder than HSV2 and for most people it never shows again, and if it does it's usually once a year. Knowledge is power and you need to know your status :-)

Remember that the HSV2 virus is also just a "cold sore" for some. Herpes is basically just cold sores where HSV1 thrives on the upper part of the body and HSV2 thrives on the lower part. Just because you had a cold sore below the waist line, it does not mean that it is HSV1. If I were you I would go to the doctor and insist on getting your sores swapped the next time they show up. GHSV1 is usually a lot milder than HSV2 and for most people it never shows again, and if it does it's usually once a year. Knowledge is power and you need to know your status :-)

Yes, but I got the blood test 4 months after having oral sex with anyone. There isn't much of a chance that it's HSV2.