• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV2 only 1 outbreak ever

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with HSV 1 & HSV 2 last July via Igg blood test (1.2 and 4.05 respectively) following 2 suspicious bumps that were never swabbed. Despite several circumstances where I was extremely stressed and even an incident where I was severely ill for 2 months following a staph infection that necessitated a week-long stay in the hospital with a subsequent PICC line for 2 weeks, I have never had another outbreak. Is this a common thing? I know there are people who never have symptoms, but I haven't read too many with only one outbreak ever. My first outbreak, if it was indeed an outbreak was extremely mild compared to what other people have experienced. Just 2 painful blisters that disappeared after a week, never opened or scabbed over, just disappeared. I am certainly not complaining as this doesn't impact my life at all and I always disclose, but would love to hear if anyone else has had this experience.

@Turquoise621 My understanding from The Herpes Handbook is that what is *most* common is that people with HSV2 have very mild occasionally recurring symptoms that go unnoticed or are mistaken for some other minor skin condition such as an ingrown hair, jock itch, a pimple, razorburn or a yeast infection. The following scenarios are less common: (1) 100% symptom free from the time of infection forward, (2) obvious first outbreak followed by no symptoms or occasional mild symptoms, and (3) obvious first outbreak followed by obvious recurring outbreaks.

It's also my understanding that people who acquire GHSV1 are more likely than those who acquire HSV2 to have a noticeable first outbreak, most likely because many people (40% has been estimated) who acquire HSV2 are already infected with HSV1 which can influence the aggression with which the body responds upon being infected.

Hi @Turquoise621. I also have HSV 1 & 2--both for over 20 years but I didn't get the diagnosis until last year. I mistook my rare irritation and occasional itching to be related to yeast infections. I never had a primary outbreak at all. And it wasn't until last Thanksgiving that I had my very first (and so far only) blister. So you're definitely not alone!