• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

On vacation and having an outbreak

ktm14

Hi everyone,

So I was diagnosed with HSV-1 of the genitals around a year ago. I had my initial outbreak which was AWFUL and have had 1 semi big one since then. I am currently on vacation visiting my boyfriend and out of nowhere I am having an outbreak. It started about 3 days ago. I was extremely itchy, wearing pants was uncomfortable and my labia was in pain due to swelling. Over the next day and a half it got itchier and more painful but I never noticed any visible blisters. Now it is Monday and the swelling has gone down about 85 percent and the pain/itch is minimal. I do see raw red skin and what looks like a little bit of pus. I still have not seen any blisters. Has anyone ever had an OB like this? Could the blisters have been so small that I didn't even notice them and now it is in the ulcer/healing phase? I started taking valtrex two times a day as soon as I started itching. Where I am on vacation I have absolutely no cell service so I cannot call my doctor. Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

I don't usually get blisters. In fact, in the 20+ years I've had herpes, I didn't have a blister until last Thanksgiving. Surprise! I usually just get redness in the fold of my labia and a lot of itching. If it's a bad outbreak, the redness might be slightly ulcerated like a scratch. I definitely think there's a wide variation in how people experience outbreaks.

@hikinggirl that's pretty much what I have now. It's right in the fold of my right side and it looks red and slightly ulcerated but not bad at all. The itching and pain have reduced by about 85 percent so I am hoping it's just healing now! This is all fairly new to me so I'm still learning all the stages