• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

BV or herpes?

I have had genital herpes for three years and have never had an outbreak, other than my initial, that I am aware of that contains herpes sores. I do have frequent vaginal issues like bacterial vaginosis which gives me a lot of white discharge, odor, and irritation. I tend to get a very raw irritation outside my vagina and around my clitoris. It can cause me so much irritation when I rub to ease some of the discomfort it may bleed because of the rawness. I get BV a few times a year so I am very aware of how my body reacts to it. I am freaking out because while I currently believe I have BV I had unprotected sex with my ex boyfriend. I am just now concerned with the fact that my clitoris is extra sensitive today and it could be a herpes outbreak. I have never really been able to tell if I have a outbreak or not. So I have a couple questions...

*Are the chances for spreading herpes during an outbreak with unprotected sex around 100%?

*How long does Valtrex take to become effective in your system for suppressive therapy? (I took 2 500mg pills a couple hours before intercourse. We were broken up so I stopped taking them and when he asked to come over I took them just because I knew we would have sex I did not plan on unprotected sex we had a few drinks.)

*How long does Valtrex take to become effective in your system for suppressive therapy? (I took 2 500mg pills a couple hours before intercourse. We were broken up so I stopped taking them and when he asked to come over I took them just because I knew we would have sex I did not plan on unprotected sex we had a few drinks.)

I don't have an answer to your first question, but it's my understanding that you need to take Valtrex for five days in order to get the full benefit of reducing transmission. I think it'd be very difficult to put a statistic on what a few hours would do. Does your ex know you have herpes?

Yes he is aware I have herpes. I just struggle with the fact that I have a very sensitive vagina and tend to get BV often. I know when I have it and I know it causes irrataion for me. I just have never had a second outbreak of herpes before with sores or anything so I am having a anxiety about possibly passing it on to someone else.

I'm really afraid of passing the virus to someone too. I think most of us here have or have had that fear. Since your ex knows you have herpes, it's his responsibility to use condoms and ask about your medication usage if he's concerned about contracting it.

I, too, am still trying to figure out exactly what outbreaks look like for me. In my case, I know I contracted herpes at least 20 years ago, but just got the diagnosis a year ago. Until then, I had absolutely no idea. So I'm constantly questioning what is going on with my body. It can be maddening!

I'm really afraid of passing the virus to someone too. I think most of us here have or have had that fear. Since your ex knows you have herpes, it's his responsibility to use condoms and ask about your medication usage if he's concerned about contracting it.

I, too, am still trying to figure out exactly what outbreaks look like for me. In my case, I know I contracted herpes at least 20 years ago, but just got the diagnosis a year ago. Until then, I had absolutely no idea. So I'm constantly questioning what is going on with my body. It can be maddening!

Well it looked like I had a yeast infection and BV. So I feel much more relaxed about it considering it explains my severe symptoms. And thanks I am still trying to figure the virus out. I had a pretty horrible first outbreak and I am almost 100% positive when I got it. I have also never experienced a second outbreak. And even though he is aware and is taking his chance I don't want to be the person who could possibly cause him the same pain I dealt with the first year of my diagnosis.