• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Diagnosed 12/26 and still having symptoms!

I suffered through a primary outbreak starting about a week and a half before Christmas. If you've had a primary outbreak you'd know how painful it is. I started getting paranoid and felt pretty hopeless about the situation. I'm only a 25 year old female. They swabbed me on 12/21 and I found out on 12/26 that it was positive. I wasn't as stressed once I knew the truth. It was helpful to me to not have to worry. They started me on meds twice a day for ten days. The sores went away after about four days. But it is now the 11th of January, 2017, and I am still having extreme itching. I also have what looks like scarring on the inside of the labia where the sores were. It's pretty upsetting considering I've read everywhere that there shouldn't be scarring at all. That is the lesser of the problem, because I am still itching severely. I'm trying not to scratch, but just rub instead. They gave me a prescription in case I flare up again, but I have not taken it. I told the doctor I was still itching and she told me I shouldn't be itching, and had no solution for this problem. Is this ever going to stop? It's been almost a month since it started and I haven't had much relief besides the sores being gone.

Also, if anyone wants to be friends and get through this together I'd be happily open to do that.

Have you been checked for a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis? Assuming you've tested negative for other STI's that can cause itching, it's quite possible you have a yeast infection or BV. They can happen anytime there is an upset in the delicate balance of bacteria and/or yeast in the vagina. I'm currently battling BV AND a yeast infection, and I can absolutely relate to the intense itching. As for the apparent scarring, I don't know about that. Did your doctor examine you to see what you were talking about? If not, I think I would ask for an examination, and possibly a test for the two infections I mentioned. I'm sorry you're going through this. I, personally, find it very disconcerting to deal with such issues in my "lady bits"!

Have you been checked for a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis? Assuming you've tested negative for other STI's that can cause itching, it's quite possible you have a yeast infection or BV. They can happen anytime there is an upset in the delicate balance of bacteria and/or yeast in the vagina. I'm currently battling BV AND a yeast infection, and I can absolutely relate to the intense itching. As for the apparent scarring, I don't know about that. Did your doctor examine you to see what you were talking about? If not, I think I would ask for an examination, and possibly a test for the two infections I mentioned. I'm sorry you're going through this. I, personally, find it very disconcerting to deal with such issues in my "lady bits"!

Yes I've been tested for other STI's and they came back negative. Yes I was tested for BV and a yeast infection and they came back negative. She gave me the medicine for the yeast infection anyway because it couldn't hurt me, so I took it and no improvement.

I also wasn't examined since then in regard to the scarring. I just noticed it a few days ago when I shaved for the first time since then.

Yes it does suck dealing with these problems and I am due to have surgery next month for the third time for endometriosis and polycystic ovaries, except this time I am having a bowel resection due to the growths getting into my intestine. So, on top of all the existing problems with my reproductive system, herpes showed up at the worst possible time.

@Newlyhopeless25 Oh my! I am truly sorry for everything you're going through! I would definitely be seeing if the doctor could do more to help, as I know you must be feeling quite miserable. :( Please, keep us posted if you find out anything more. Good luck with the surgery. Sending positive vibes and much love to you! (((hugs)))

My favorite anti-itch remedy is a cotton square moistened with water and a couple of drops of tea tree oil. It's strong stuff, so it must be diluted and a drop or two works wonders. Please don't use it straight or a bunch of drops at once--those areas of your body are sensitive! I sincerely hope things calm down soon or the doctors can figure out what's going on. Meanwhile, take it from a yeast-infection veteran, tea tree oil is the bomb for any kind of itching.

My initial outbreak was like yours. It dragged on....there was a small skin lesion on my cheek (if you will) then I just kept having more things. I def. had initial flu like symptoms and swollen lymph nodes and exhaustion. I didn't have a lot of pain but I did have itching. I did have a little success with diaper rash creme (the really thickstuff) but the most success I had was using Benadryl.

Also I have only had one real outbreak since then -- I take daily valtrex -- and it was hardly anything.

Really tho, try Benadryl.

My initial outbreak was like yours. It dragged on....there was a small skin lesion on my cheek (if you will) then I just kept having more things. I def. had initial flu like symptoms and swollen lymph nodes and exhaustion. I didn't have a lot of pain but I did have itching. I did have a little success with diaper rash creme (the really thickstuff) but the most success I had was using Benadryl.

Also I have only had one real outbreak since then -- I take daily valtrex -- and it was hardly anything.

Really tho, try Benadryl.

Unfortunately doctor already has me on Benadryl every six hours. Has made no improvements.