• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Suppressive therapy (daily vs beginning of the month)

I've had genital hsv-1 for several years now. My doctor has prescribed me with 500mg tablets of valacyclovir. He said that I should take one in the morning and one at night for the first 5 days of every month. He said that would be enough to protect a partner each month. I haven't had a partner since being diagnosed. However, I have been dating and recently met someone. If things were to become more serious, I'd like to make sure I'm doing everything I can to protect her. Most of what I've seen here suggests daily suppressive therapy. Has anyone heard of taking the pills at the beginning of each month and that being enough to protect a partner?

My late husband had GHSV 1

He was on suppression therapy. We had two kids together, and did all the things that husbands and wifes do. He never exposed me. He took 1 acyclovir daily and avoided sexual contact if he had an outbreak, which was a rare occurance.

For my daily suppressive, I take 400mg in the morning, and at night. Along with my acyclovir, I take l-lysine. During an outbreak, my dosage goes up to 400mg, FIVE times per day. I also take the L-lysine supplement with each dose. For me, this regimen has already kicked the shit out of this virus in my body. I was just diagnosed in mid-november, and my initial outbreak was VERY bad. Within just a couple days of taking the acyclovir, I could feel some relief.

I've never heard of taking the med only in the beginning of the month? That seems very strange to me...?

Good luck to you! I strongly suggest the daily meds. They work fabulous for me.