• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes questions

Hello all!

Haven't been on here in quite a while. But I do have a few questions especially for those who have had had this virus for years.

1. As far as I know this virus is not serious or dangerous...correct?

2. Is it true this virus affects our brain? I read certain things online and it's kinds scary.

3. What should I know besides herpes besides that it's a skin condition.

4. Is it recommended to take meds? I only took meds for 10 days when I had my first OB which was back in April. Since I have not had any nor continued to take meds.

Thanks!

1. Generally herpes is not serious. It doesn't cause cancer or sterility or any other problems that other STD's do. (The main reason I believe herpes is not included in the standard std panel.)

2. When this happens it usually affects newborns exposed to the virus at birth or people with extremely compromised immune systems. It is very rare in the grand scheme of things. There is also a theory that HSV1 may be linked to alzhiemers. Its still being debated and studied amongst the eggheads.

3. The handouts and ebook are good sources of info. @WCSDancer2010 has written a blog http://supporttruthanddialog.com/. It is an excellent source of information, I highly recommend it.

4. Taking meds is pretty much a personal choice. Sounds like you are not having a problem with frequent outbreaks, so you may not really need them. If in the future you enter a relationship with someone who is HSV negative you may consider taking an antiviral to help protect them from transmission of the virus.