• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

HSV 1 and not type 2?

Hey, so I was told by my doctor that I have HSV 2 a few months ago, but when I went back to get the results and everything on paper, it says I am positive for HSV 1 and not HSV 2.

The thing is, I've recently started dating a guy and now I don't know how to approach the disclosing. We have already kissed plenty and I have no idea where the virus is located now, but before I thought it was genitally.

Now I'm not so sure. So any tips on how to do this?

@Lunali Did you have both a swab test and a blood test? If you only had one test and the paper results say HSV1, then I would have a conversation with your doctor confirming that is the case. There are still some doctors out there who think oral = HSV1, genital = HSV2, or maybe he just made a mistake when providing your results.

OTOH, if you had a swab test and a blood test as a result of a first noticeable outbreak, you might want to check on the results of the swab test specifically. Sometimes people test both swab and blood at the first sign of symptoms but there hasn't been enough time for antibodies to build in the blood, resulting in conflicting test results such as swab HSV2+, blood HSV2-.