• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can you get herpes in a new area?

Hi everyone,

I have type 1 & 2 herpes but have only seen the blisters in the same spot in my genital area. My question is this: can I start getting outbreaks around my mouth if I kiss or perform oral sex on a girl with an outbreak at the time? Or does the fact that I already have both types mean that I can't be "re-infected" in a new area? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Look up seroconcordant couples. It seems like the general idea is if you both have the same strain, you can't reinfect the other. It's still recommended that you abstain during active outbreaks, but I think this is more for the discomfort most people feel during an outbreak, and not for transmission reasons.

I don't know any statistics on possible external exposure causing outbreaks in asymptomatic people (it sounds as if your HSV1 is asymptomatic since you've not had oral outbreaks). I guess it's really based on what you are comfortable with. Hope that helps.

Hi jaydee7,

It is in fact possible to develop herpes in a site other than the initially infected site. Either the same strain you already have, or the other strain.

The one thing to keep in mind is that, once we've been infected with the virus, our body starts to produce antibodies to at least somewhat protect us from future outbreaks. The longer it's been since you were initially exposed to the virus, the more antibodies remain in our system and the risk of being infected in another area of the body is, if not eliminated, at least reduced.

Check out this link for info:

http://projectaccept.org/all-about-herpes-how-do-we-get-hsv/

(when you're done reading that page, go to the 'H Info' tab at the top of the page and read the various pages which are available. Useful information!)

Hope this helps.