• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Suppression therapy with Valycyclovir questions

ele3

Hi all. I have HSV1 genitally, and never have symptoms unless I'm having regular sex, which is of course infuriating. In the past I never took medication unless I was having an outbreak, which hardly ever happened. Now that I'm in a relationship I started taking Valcyclovir daily for suppression, for my boyfriend's sake. We are long distance so I will go from not having sex for a few months to having sex constantly for a week , and repeat. Inevitably I break out badly after the first 4 or so days of having sex again. I'm wondering if I should go off the daily suppression dosage since it's not doing anything anyhow, or whether these post-sex outbreaks are just something I have to live with... I feel like there has to be a way to manage this better! Any suggestions or shared experiences are most welcome...thanks!!

Are you making sure you're well lubed? The meds are possibly still helping with duration and severity of the outbreaks, so I wouldn't cut them back just yet. Friction and not having continuous sex is probably the issue. I used to have this problem, but it slowly went away. Good luck!