• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Time discovers truth

I disclosed to someone I was dating last year and he rejected me (later I realized it was much too soon and he really wasn't as into me as he was "getting" into me). I recently reached out to someone I dated years ago about his opinion of me disclosing to him. I had to know if he felt it was too soon and how he genuinely felt. This man and I dated for five months and I chose to disclose because he was very attracted to me and he also asked me to spend the night with him- asking if I wanted to make love. I hadn't yet disclosed to him at that point and I really wasn't ready for a sexual relationship. Few weeks later I disclosed to him and he was very understanding.

This was his reply to me:

I appreciated the fact that you told me about it. Being upfront and direct says a lot about the sincerity of a person. I felt compassion and empathetic about it. I told you how I felt at that moment; my attraction for you was very evident and I enjoyed being with you. No, the information wasn't rushed by any means. It was perfect when you brought it up to my attention. You're a great woman. Will always be in my mind. I hope this humble view of mine helps you see your own great heart.

His response absolutely made my heart smile. I realized that disclosing to someone means you trust the person and feel comfortable being vulnerable. I believe a person has to be worthy of such a disclosure and allow time to reveal who he or she really is. You'll know when you meet that person! I firmly believe being open and honest and after this humble view, I don't feel ashamed anymore. Just depends on the person and their level of maturity.

This is beautiful. Sounds like his ability to see you gave you more leeway to accept and see yourself, too? Thank you for sharing this!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: