• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Using Lysine as treatment for outbreaks.

Hi everyone, just wanted some insight as to using Lysine for treating herpes. Right now I'm on my third OB which is literally one sore kind of frustrating. I have valtrex that I get filled when I need it but it is almost $7 for 6 pills that need to be taken every twelve hours. I could not afford to be on this medication 24/7 as much as I would like to be. I have read forums on here just can't seem to find them does taking Lysine cut down the rate of transmission as well? Or does it only help slow down the recurrences? Thank you in advance.

Here is some information from a study conducted by Indiana University School of Medicine in 1987.

"A double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial of oral L-lysine monohydrochloride for the prevention and treatment of recurrent herpes simplex (HSV) infection was conducted. The treatment group was given L-Lysine monohydrochloride tablets (1,000 mg L-lysine per dose) 3 times a day for 6 months. A total of 27 (6 male and 21 female) subjects on L-lysine and 25 (6 male and 19 female) subjects on placebo completed the trial. The L-lysine treatment group had an average of 2.4 less HSV infections, symptoms were significantly diminished in severity and healing time was significantly reduced. L-Lysine appears to be an effective agent for reduction of occurrence, severity and healing time for recurrent HSV infection."

But for every supportive study I'm sure you can find one that says it's not effective. And as you can tell, this is quite old. I don't think they recommend that many milligrams on a daily basis. It wouldn't hurt to try it, it may help you out. Hopefully someone with experience with lysine will pop up soon.

Guest LetsBeAwesome

I take lysine and believe in it...it's also worth calling out that arginine is considered to be a trigger for outbreaks. I try to stay away from arginine-rich foods, and take lysine whenever I end up eating something generally heavy in arginine to lysine ratio (grapefruit, walnuts, etc). Look online for lysine arginine ratio, herpes diet, and the like. You may want to try modifying your diet to restrict arginine and increase lysine...or if you're adventurous, eat lots of arginine rich foods and less lysine, and see if you get a breakout. :)

• 2 weeks later...