• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Establishing first contact

LW

I found out about this website about a year ago while I was listening to NPR, and I waited until recently to finally step out of the shadows and join. I have been very transient in my presence, and I have briefly read over the commentary and debating about whether or not to participate. I feel as though this website is for those that are lost and are newcomers to this condition. Both of these descriptions do not apply to me. I have had a wonderful group of friends that have supported me and I have had a decent dating life. I will be honest that this has been not easy, but at the same time it has not been difficult. When I was first diagnosed I went through the phases of anger and sadness, but over the last 12 years I have learned to accept myself and to not let this define me.

Now I am going to contradict myself and state that in a way this has defined me. I have remained single over the last 3 years (through no fault but my own) and I have made sure to make every excuse not to date. I have volunteered my time and my physical presence to both my community and to my education. And if a potential suitor came along I made sure to disqualify him immediately. This is because I did not want to have to go through the same pain staking process of listening, evaluating, and making sure this individual is worth my time as well as being open-minded. It was only recently that loneliness hit me and the silence of the situation was deafening. I disclosed my discomfort to a close friend and he stated, “Have you ever thought that you have not set up the right algorithm for meeting someone?” After thinking over his question, I have realized I have not. I closed myself from the world because I am more comfortable with being alone than to have someone hurt me. But I am realizing in order to ever meet someone and potentially find a long term partner that I am going to have to change my behavior. So here I am taking the first step and trying to make contact. I want to meet others with similar experiences and I want to be able to talk and potentially have a face to face conversation. I live in a very rural part of North Carolina, but thankfully there is the internet to help get the ball rolling.

I am open to any critiques or advice, and I am hoping that this will be an enlightening experience.

I could be wrong, but you sound like a woman. Am I right?

Everyone has an experience of loneliness, not just herpoids like us. I think if you can connect with people on a larger scale like that or through some positive emotion, it will diminish the significance of herpes in their eyes and for yourself.

I'm not sure how it will work in a rural area like what you are describing. I take there aren't a lot of people around.

That might make you feel more pressure when you around the few people that are there.

Perhaps it would be good for to go to a place with a larger population like a city. That way, if someone rejects you (for whatever reason), it won't seem like all that big a deal because there are more people to meet.