• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

US Task Forcs Recommending Against Herpes Screening

They recommend testing for the others because they can cause some serious damage when untreated. Chlamydia and gonorrhea may seem minor but they can lead to PID and sterility. Syphilis when untreated can lead to tertiary syphilis -which is very serious and can affect your brain, liver, heart, etc. We all know the dangers of HIV.

So, although I really wish the outcome of this was different and they would start testing people, I do understand why they want to catch and squash the others when possible. Herpes doesn't normally cause the damage that the others do to your reproductive system, immune system (HIV), or other organs for that matter.

Ok then why do people have to disclose herpes by law in some states? I say that if the federal government is not only not asking people to be screened, but telling doctors not to screen for her herpes, then that should be legal license for people to not to have to disclose.

Why is weed legal in some states but still a federal offense? But I did a search figuring I'd find a juicy story about a case involving herpes that made a law in some state.

This is all I'm finding so far:

"As a general rule, no. There are no federal or state laws making it illegal for you not tell a partner about an STD you may have. That doesn't mean you're completely free from legal problems, though."

It goes on to say you CAN face a civil lawsuit and criminal charges.

http://health-care.lawyers.com/do-you-have-to-tell-your-partner-about-an-std.html

Do you have some information I'm missing?

As mentioned, Herpes is not considered a health-threatening STD ... and the other issue is that the CDC believes that the diagnosis causes so much angst that they believe that it's better if people don't know they have it. Which is STUPID in my opinion because while it's shitty enough to get the diagnosis, it's even shittier to find out when someone calls you up and tells you that YOU gave it to them.

And given that studies show that those who are diagnosed are far less likely to pass it on, I would think the responsible thing to do is to test AND create a public conversation that would help to reduce the stigma as well as top quality information brochures that would be in all medical offices and easily available online.

I have plans to create a campaign with the CDC to get them to see the REALITY of what the H community is dealing with. Just reading all the posts on here should prove that we need a different way of dealing with the virus. Putting their head in the sand isn't working. It's just creating a lot of people who need a lot of therapy.

Ok then why do people have to disclose herpes by law in some states? I say that if the federal government is not only not asking people to be screened, but telling doctors not to screen for her herpes, then that should be legal license for people to not to have to disclose.

The disclosure laws in some states started as a blanket law because of HIV ... and perhaps Syphilis and Gonorrhea because of how they affect the reproductive system.... but they made the law a blanket law for all STD's.

They recommended against screening?

I find this VERY interesting because I am close to someone going for a state job...they gave a form that must be filled out and signed by their doctor...One of the specific questions they ask is if the patient has an std....I was horrified to read that...what does having an std have to do with your ability to do a job, a desk job? Any job?

Sure you can request your physician not answer it, but then you risk not getting a state position.

When I went for classes to become an MLT the health form requested a pap smear/genital inspection. There was a checklist on how the genitals looked, was there any std history, etc.. I was mortified that a college could request this type of information. The doctor put a big line through it and continued on. Thankfully. She even commented that it wasn't necessary for them to have that type of information. (And the college never said a word).

They recommended against screening?

I find this VERY interesting because I am close to someone going for a state job...they gave a form that must be filled out and signed by their doctor...One of the specific questions they ask is if the patient has an std....I was horrified to read that...what does having an std have to do with your ability to do a job, a desk job? Any job?

Sure you can request your physician not answer it, but then you risk not getting a state position.

The CDC recommends against screening for HERPES ... again, because of the reasons I outlined above.

As for your friend's application, I'd get the Dr to say that it's irrelevant to the position/duties the person will perform. Don't know why they would have that on there except HIV but I'm pretty sure that they can't deny you the job by law for having an STD (even HIV)

• 3 months later...

That is some crazy shit. That he said that, that is. Any doctor can order any test that he needs to, and just because it isn't on his computer doesn't mean squat. That just means they removed it from their normal test list. He is still perfectly able to request that test through any reference laboratory- and most herpes tests are sent out anyways. Odds are they changed the way the tests are being ordered. For example, we order some labs in our main screen (which is what he's referring to) and some are requested the good old fashioned way- with paper and a pen.