• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Why H has been one of the best things to happen to me.

Perhaps, an exaggeration BUT the point is my life has improved dramatically since finding out I have H. Who would have thought?

Of course, like everyone, it was not all rainbows and butterflies. It was dark and terrible and scary. I threw myself a pity party for awhile, but eventually I knew that I had to put my big girl panties on and deal with it.

I will play a lot of characters in my life, but a victim will not be one of them. A lot of ridiculous things happened when I found out I had H. I found out the guy I got it from had a girlfriend who he lived with and had been lying for months and then I got back together with my ex. I went from one bad situation to an even worse one. (don't worry, this story does have a Brightside...we're getting there). The first 3 months I had weekly outbreaks. I have been down in my life before, but I went to a dark place.

Even though my ex really helped me to see that H did not define me, I quickly realized he only liked me when I was broken. As soon as I started to perk up, his awful behavior came back. So, I got out of the relationship with my ex and really examined all parts of my life. I realized I was just floating along and I hated that.

I started dating again and it turns out that H DOES make a great wingman. I had been seeing a guy for a few weeks who I had great chemistry with, but who otherwise bored me to death. Without H, I definitely would have started sleeping with him and wasted my time for a few months having great sex without anything more than a surface level connection. So, instead, another guy came in to my life. H made me really think about what I wanted out of a relationship...outside of a physical connection (which up until H I had used as a crutch in all of my relationships with men and as a way to say as emotionally unattached as possible-hello unhealthy!) and instead of disclosing to the guy I'd been seeing for weeks...I stopped talking to him and disclosed to the new guy after like...a week. He barely flinched and was so impressed with my honesty. That was a couple months ago and every day with this man is my favorite day. Thanks H!

Also, another realization H gave me was that I was working myself to death at 2 jobs and just doing a lot of goal planning without any real follow through. I'd been making so many excuses for too long. I'd convinced myself I was happy with zero free time or time to myself. THEN my fulltime job announced they were doing layoffs. COOL. In a weird twist of fate, I applied to a job that interested me but I probably wouldn't have otherwise applied to had I not gotten this brand new outlook on life because I was sure I wasnt qualified. Great news...I start on May 2nd and I will make enough money to, for the first time in my life, work ONE job.

It's been almost a year since H and if you would have asked me where I thought my life was going...this would not have been my answer. I am happier and healthier than ever.

If you're feeling down and out...please don't. H is only as bad as you make it. It actually CAN be an opportunity. It's a great time to really look at yourself and all the parts you hate. Sure, that's scary but that's how you grow.

Nice. :) Nice to meet you, fellow Life Opportunist.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

That's awesome... ive never been in as good as shape or ate as healthy as I am now... H has really helped with me focusing on myself instead of everyone else and sleeping with losers who are going no where. doesnt help with my pickiness with men but hopefully I'll start picking men with better qualities than just looks :) glad to hear your great story!