• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Lab testing options?

I'm seeking advice about testing options.

A former partner of mine would like to be tested due to anxiety about having been exposed. He is asymptomatic. He consulted Planned Parenthood who did a visual inspection and advised they could not test him as he has no symptoms and they do not do IgG blood tests. They said they don't recommend blood tests for asymptomatic people but if he really wanted one he could ask an independent medical provider. He wants to be tested as he is having great anxiety but he is hesitant to see an independent medical provider. I looked online and see there are places that claim to be direct-to-consumer services but I can't tell if any of them are reputable. These places supposedly allow consumers to order a specific test (such as type specific IgG) without permission from a doctor. The patient then goes to a local lab chain to have the test done and the results go back to the service and then to the consumer, I think. Has anyone used a service like this? Are they all scams?

Please refrain from advising that I persuade him to see a doctor. I'm trying to be supportive of him right now and this is where his brain is and I can't push it elsewhere.

Thank you. :)

Hey! Best thing to do is go for a Western Blot. It costs more $ but is the most definitive test out there for herpes. You'll just have to have your doc send blood off to the University of Washington. Here's their FAQ page for the deets:

http://depts.washington.edu/herpes/pages/frequently_asked_questions

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I went to a planned parenthood site myself, and was originally given the same speech...I went home without the script.

Months later I still wanted to know if I had both types...so I went back to see their doctor, and told her I wanted the script to see if I was infected with both, got the same speech, but this time I wasn't leaving without script.

If he's persistent, they will give it to him.

• 4 weeks later...