• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Other Diseases That Are Almost "incurable"

Part of the stigma of herpes, actually most of it, comes from the fact that it is incurable.

It's true you can't cure herpes.

That said, there are other skin conditions that are pretty much incurable that don't get half the stigma.

For example: I got ringworm when I was about 14. I treated, and it went away, but it would come back for years after- like many years after. I still get it sometimes. Still have to put cream on it occasionally. Same thing with Eczema.

I'd bet that there are other almost incurable diseases out there that are actually more damaging than herpes and just as easy if not easier to catch.

Why am I bringing this up?

To generate perspective and to show stupid it is to stigmatize this one thing and to let the other stuff slide. I'm not saying we should stigmatize the other stuff, but I think the herpes stigma is freakishly overblown.

Let's use this thread to discuss these other diseases, just to get put our herpes in real context instead of the fear/ignorance frame.

alopecia, psoriasis,migraines are sometimes lifelong and debilitating acne colds fevers periods for us women almost all our lives lime disease those unfortunate enough to get bit better a damn tick lupus. and you know our private parts things go down there all our lives too from diaper rashes to ingrown hairs to itchs here and there our parts are warm n moist plenty goes on down there more than herpes

I have a single friend that met a man online, they talked for almost 6 months, when they met she told him she has psoriasis(can't be cured and is not contagious)....he politely said I'm sorry I'm not interested and wouldn't talk to her or see her again after that.

Pathetic

Well @hippyherpy , us humans carry about 3-5 human herpes, by the time we're all adults. There are 8.

- HSV 1

- HSV 2

- Chickenpox/herpes zoster aka HH3 - most of us have had this. Especially those in Kate 20s and above, before vaccines came out.

- EBV aka mono, aka kissing disease, aka HH4 - most adults will test positive for this, despite never being sick w mono. Most get as babies or young children, which upon infection, you're asymptomatic that age. As a teen or young adult, is when you see people develop mono. When I went through testing for autoimmune diseases, as EBV is linked to being a trigger, I came up positive w low antibody, which means it was an old infection and latent. This virus tenda to infect the lymphatic system

- CMV aka HH5 , who get as babbabies and goes dormant. Just by being around someone infected, the same air you beath can infect you. This one infects organs and tends to stay dormant upon initial infection. However, this is the human herpes virus that is life threatening for those w comprised immune systems, especially cancer patients and even more so, oragn transplant recipients, because of the life long immune suppressant drugs they will have to take. It can kill them pretty quickly, when it reactivated, from a suppressed immune system.

- HH6 we are all infected w as babies..

-HH7 they don't know much about HH7 and how it affects us yet.

-HH8 is something only those w HIV get. It's like a blood tumor/cancer or something.

Every single person you come into contact, is carrying multiple herpes viruses, yet genital herpes is the only one stigmatized.

@bambina3 I have been rejected a second time recently, due to my autoimmune diseases. It's funny, because women wouldn't reject a man over something like that, but men seem to associate it w how they're physically going to look at some point and want no part in it. I'm using my autoimmune diseases as a wing man first, before H has to be disclosed and we'll, it sure shows me quickly who they are and how they were full of shit.

No @sil88 I'm saying women are not as likely to reject someone over an autoimmune disease. It's rather a heartless thing to do tbh and an action that lacks empathy and compassion. By nature, women are more nurturing, caring, empathetic and compassionate beings. So my point being, women aren't as likely to do it as men are

It's a two way loop- if a woman knows that theirs a stigma for her to have herpes because men will reject her, she might be more likely to reject a man with H because he represents a possibility of her getting it. Then men stay away from a woman with h because a guy is afraid of getting rejected by women if he gets it.

Both men and women need to chill out about herpes when there are other things out there are very similar that can be passed on just from touching not having anything to do with sex.

I agree, but because medical literature only seems to focus on the most extreme symptoms of H, people create this image in their mind about ozzing sores, dripping w pus and are so painful. Had it not been for my neuropathy during my primary, despite having the ulcers I did have and bumps; I'd been just fine. It was a little uncomfortable to sit, that's for sure, but it was just sore. Not debilitating. My neuropathy, which doesn't seem common to the degree I had it, was really the ONLY thing that devastated me, as I thought it'd be like that forever or every time I had a new OB. The lack of proper and precise education on H, I feel.... Is the biggest offender of perpetuating the stigma tbh.