• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Life with (h)

You know, for the past 2 days I have been feeling down about being diagnosed with (h) and knowing that I can't cure it completely. It does suck and sometimes I find myself reading posts based on the stigma of herpes and the thing is, it doesn't even get me down, it just makes me realise that I am starting to feel the way I did before, feeling like im a health risk to any man that wishes to be with me, im a walking STD and ive just ruined my life, but what I have come to realise is people who don't live with herpes will never know what it's like to have the diagnosis and the disclosure and possibly but rarely the rejection. People just follow crowds and yes it would be fantastic if all people with herpes could be herpes free but its just not going to happen, well not as far as we know.

Tbh I have realised from speaking to my friend that I couldv'e been in an even worse situation. My friend always says to me "your human, you make mistakes, you can't blame yourself or hate yourself for it" and I realise thats true because if i keep living that way im never going to be happy. People that are very close to me who know about my diagnosis have just told me "don't beat yourself up, its reality", which sucks but is very true. I think I'm definitely still struggling to come to terms with the fact that I have this skin condition that is going to stay with me for the rest of my life and thats what kills me the most + im so young aswell, but what I have come to realise is life is not easy, everyone has rough patches in there life and you can't think that everyone is completely happy. God doesn't put you in situations you can't handle and tbh that is very true but it is also a lesson learnt.

The college I go to have offered me counselling sessions, which she will try and help me see herpes in a different light because atm all the stigma is running through my head and also the fact that if I didn't have anything I would be fine and happy and its just upsetting me and tbh I don't want to live like this. You know sometimes I just want to do myself the favour and end my life for myself but then I think about the people I have and how much life I have ahead of me, and tbh a simple skin condition is not worth your life, or is it.

Butterfly,

Herpes is certainly noooottt a reason to end your life. Over 25 million Americans have it. Think about it.. if everyone who had herpes ended their life, 16.2% of the population would be wiped out. It certainly wouldn't want to be a world that I'd want to live in.

I know some amaziiinnngggg people who have herpes, and are MAJOR contributions to the world. You still have so much to offer the world, and herpes can't take that away. It's only as strong as you let it be. and I've seen other posts of yours. I know that you have a loving heart, and I'd love to see you give yourself some of the love and compassion that you give to others. <3.

And as you said, "everyone has rough patches in life." Yes, you're so right. Everyone does. In different ways. And it's all part of life. . We are not separate from others who don't have herpes. We are all human, and we all have things in our lives that don't go the way we'd like them to. So, when something happens in life that there's no going back and erasing, we can totally use our power to move forward, and see that obstacle as a life lesson in love, forgiveness, and compassion.

Lots of love!

-Katie

I'm so glad you recognize that, Vanessa! (Now that means you can do something about it.) Let's start brainstorming on what that might look like. ;) What would showing yourself that love and support look like to you? Give us 15 things you could do today for some good old-fashioned self-love. (I'm excited to hear!)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: