• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I'm scared. can somebody let me know I'll be okay.

I found out about a month ago that I have hsv1. I felt really horrible at first, but I started to accept it and feel more like myself. Then I found some info online about a rare kind of hepatitis caused by herpes and it happens really fast and is fatal in most cases. I'm feeling really paranoid now and I can't get the thought of it out of my head. I guess I just need someone to tell me I'm going to be okay and that I can live a happy life again. Thank you for reading.

#1 rule of Health:

STAY OFF DR GOOGLE!

I have yet to ever hear of anyone having a Herpes-related Hepatitis. I'd guess they already have liver issues and perhaps were but on Valtrex ... which is harmless to the liver UNLESS you already have some kind of liver disease....

Point being, *if* it happens it's incredibly rare. Chill friend... no need to be Chicken Little about a stupid little virus that causes cold sores in an inconvenient place :)

• 1 month later...

This Huffington Post essay published yesterday, "You Never Know Who You Are Talking To: Making Stigmatizing Assumptions About Health," seems like a relevant contribution to the conversation: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chelsea-jack/stigmatizing-assumptions-about-health_b_9044440.html. In full disclosure, I wrote it about my own experiences feeling stigmatized by other people because of a medical condition that I have. I am grateful for people contributing journalism and writing that helps stop producing the corrosive, vicious, destructive effects of shame -- and that helps others recover from those effects.

Good article, thanks for the link.

Todays 20 somethings are lucky to have the internet as a resource. I first got on the internet 20 years ago at the age of 29. You just never talked about herpes back then. The internet makes it easy to dip your toe in the water anonymously. Thats a good way to start getting the support you need. Made some very good friends over the years. The stigma is being chipped away a little bit at a time. Yourself, Ella Dawson, Sweet Cicily, Adrial and others are going public and making a stand against stigma.