• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

30 Years On

This September I will be 50 and celebrate not only that milestone but also 30 years being H+, just typing these few words creates my blood pressure to increase and the anxiety I feel to finally put into words and share with you my story is liberating, I only wish that all those years ago I had this opportunity not only to share with others our similar stories but to realise that there was more than just me out there with thing called Herpes.

My storey starts with sexual naivety with no real sex education it was learn as you go, which was fine until the second girl I slept with gave me Herpes ( just to type the word after all this time makes me cringe). I was so concerned about this sore on my man sausage I wrapped a bandaid on it and went to the doctor, I do still laugh to myself today at the comment he made about the first willy he had ever seen with a plaster on it. At 19 and clueless to sexual diseases as much as it was a shock to get this diagnosis, back then I was sent on my way and told I wouldn't die from it. OBs were not common for me for the first 5 years and it didn't really bother me until my first marriage and OBs were every month which was horrendous and as I was a closed book on the subject with the feeling of nobody to really talk to on H, life when I look back was really affected by this virus and it wasn't until the breakup of the marriage and my eventual breakdown that I finally sort help albeit 15 years later but with suppressive therapy and anti depressants away I went. To fast forward so not to bore you all to today, and spending time to read a lot of the postings on this amazing site the same things keep coming up from those that have had Herpes for many years the OBs do diminish and get less severe and I can say from experience that life does not end with the diagnosis of Herpes, as I said at the start I wish I could have had this opportunity 30 years ago as those that will come to this site to find answers they desperately need as i needed and to read learn talk and understand that I, we are not alone and there is life with herpes, time will and does heal the physiological trauma the difference today is the ability to start here on this wonderful web site, use it, embrace it and never forget that you are and never will be alone. ;)

@kiwiguy

Welcome to another veteran!!! I'm at 35+ years ... I almost don't know life without Herpes (in fact, I also had H1 orally from the age of 4 ... so I really don't remember not having it one way or another!)

I've been on a number of forums over the years and this is by far the most supportive, accurate, and positive place I've seen .... I hope you will stay and contribute... it really helps the newly diagnosed to keep hearing that life DOES go on and while there may be a "new normal", it doesn't have to be far off of their "old normal" once things settle down.

(((HUGS)))

@kiwiguy

Welcome to another veteran!!! I'm at 35+ years ... I almost don't know life without Herpes (in fact, I also had H1 orally from the age of 4 ... so I really don't remember not having it one way or another!)

I've been on a number of forums over the years and this is by far the most supportive, accurate, and positive place I've seen .... I hope you will stay and contribute... it really helps the newly diagnosed to keep hearing that life DOES go on and while there may be a "new normal", it doesn't have to be far off of their "old normal" once things settle down.

(((HUGS)))

Happy to be here and hopefully help those who are going through what we already have ;)

Thank you so much for sharing @kiwiguy :) I was wondering did you ever pass it onto your partner during your marriage?

I am so relieved to finally be able to share my experiences with others. I cannot honestly say if I passed it on but she is happy in a relationship and she has never said if she has it.

Amen @kiwiguy. I'm just now hitting the 28 year mark, wish this site had been around all those years ago. People today are lucky to have all this available to them.

I truly believe my life would have been so much different with this forum way back then, we can only hope that those new to herpes will take advantage of this site and learn and realise that being H+ is not the end.