• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Stabbing pain as herpes prodrome symptom?

I've only had one herpes outbreak since the initial one, and it wasn't bad at all. Still getting used to what the symptoms for herpes are, and was wondering if anyone (particularly female?) gets a sharp stabbing pain down there before an outbreak? I don't think I did the last time but I'm sure symptoms can change!

Hi Parky,

yes i get pain or some burning feeling down there too but its not always mean that you get an outbreak.it means that the virus is still around that area and your body try to fight it.At this times i always try to check if i can see any red points, if this happen you usually get an outbreak for sure.Normally woman get this pain short before they period or in the days of they period.My ob comes allways 3-4 days before.

let me know if you need any other info.

big hug.

Judith

i got very sharp painful stabbing pains in womb area and back passage area, then very itchy sore vulva - within 3 days of start of OB (which was mild at first) i came on period. Un-bloody-believable. after period thats when the herpes stepped up a gear and went pandemic.

I was diagnosed positive two months ago. I've never had an outbreak or anything that I think would be one. But, I did feel pain, which I thought it was an ovarian cyst (which I've had), but then it just felt different. It felt like it was on the skin, but I never had any bumps, blisters. And it was only on my left side. I just took advil for a few days and the pain stopped after about a week. Could that have been something? My doctor over the phone said I would definitely have blisters. Is that really true?

Coffeepal, 15-20% of people who have genital herpes never have any signs or symptoms. Ever. You may be one of those people who never gets an outbreak and you may not be. Regardless, what you were feeling sounds like what I'm assuming asymptomatic viral shedding feels like. I occasionally get burning/itching sensations where my outbreaks normally occur, but no outbreak ends up happening. I imagine that's the virus silently shedding, so I abstain from anything sexual during those times. Viral shedding happens 5-10% of the time on average (more if you have genital HSV2 and less if you have genital HSV1).

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hey Coffeepal,

Yes. Adrial is totally right.

And from a female perspective; I can relate to the feeling of having pain on the skin, but not seeing any bumps. I feel like I'm about to have an OB, but then it goes away before I see any bumps/blisters.

Hope this helps :)

-Katie

Is it normal to get shooting pains down through my leg? My first ob wasn't bad at all, although I did have flu like symptoms and I felt wiped our! It has been cleared up about a week now and I've been finished my valcyclovir for about 6 days. Does the shooting leg pain mean that I should be expecting another ob soon and to start taking my meds or am I just paranoid? No tingles or anything down below, just immense leg pain.

Thanks!!

Brighteyes