• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can't tell if I'm having a herpes outbreak

My amazing boyfriend, who does not have H, has decided to take the risk with me and not use condoms. I take antivirals daily as suppressive therapy so his risks are still reduced thanks to that. However, I've been having the same issue for some time now and it never affected me until I had him to protect. I sometimes experience itching, redness, and sometimes small rash like bumps. But there is no pain, and it is absolutely nothing like when I was first diagnosed. No painful blisters, etc. When Ive gone to the doctor they've told me it was due to a yeast infection, or bacterial vaginitis. And one doctor told me, when I asked her this same question, that I will know for sure when it is H because it will be painful blisters like the first time I had it. That if you experience an outbreak with symptoms you don't experience asymptomactic outbreaks or outbreaks with super mild symptoms. I really would love to have this cleared up for me because its important to me that I know when it is safe to have sex. How can I know for sure if I am having an outbreak?

@Sunflower14

Hello and welcome!

Well, once again I have to shake my head at the ignorance of the medical profession :(

To address your symptoms, you may have a mild allergy to his semen ... I would try using a condom a few times and see if that changes anything. Also, sex can sometimes cause mild irritation to the area in general especially in the first year of having H because the nerves are a little "on edge" from dealing with the virus. AND, it actually *could* be yeast or BV... did they give you anything for it to try to clear it up (Difulcan or antibiotics?) .

. And one doctor told me, when I asked her this same question, that I will know for sure when it is H because it will be painful blisters like the first time I had it. That if you experience an outbreak with symptoms you don't experience asymptomactic outbreaks or outbreaks with super mild symptoms.

Uh ... NOPE. An outbreak is basically shedding on steroids... when you shed more than the body can deal with, you get a lesion. So you CAN shed between OB's ... sadly many people are told this by Dr's and so they don't disclose to partners because they think they are "safe" as long as they avoid sex only when they have an OB .. and they end up passing it on because they don't listen to their bodies or try to preotect their partner with the meds and/or condoms :(

I would try what I suggested to eliminate the possibility of an allergy to the semen... and if you were not prescribed anything, ask to get a culture and whatever you need to clear it up.

@GetBetter

Any time you are having prodromes its *possible* you are shedding... but AGAIN, as I have said to you, you also may be dealing with something else (it doesn't sound like anyone has swabbed you for yeast or bacterial issues). For the moment I would find other ways to play if you are not sure about your status until you figure YOUR body out ... as discussed here:

http://herpeslife.com/keeping-your-partner-herpes-free-can-be-super-sexy/

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/5807/list-the-ways-to-protect-my-partner-from-getting-herpes-hsv2 Safe alternatives to sex