• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Therapy

Cali

Never went to a therapist. I did attend several meetings of a local herpes support group. It was a great experiance. I would highly recommend going to one if one is near you. It's like this forum except your actually face to face with others in a non judgemental environment. There is a list of them here on the site.

This is the list for the Support Groups... they likely could also recommend a COMPASSIONATE therapist ;)

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-support-groups/

I never went for H but I've not allowed myself to get as worked up as some (in part because I got it at 17 when no one made a big deal about it so I was blissfully ignorant for years ... by the time I saw all the scary stuff I had a minor freak out then realized all that info hadn't really changed anything ;P )

I didn't plan on going to a therapist. I'm not as bothered as others and any questions I have I usually come here for the answers. :-) I was just wondering why others went to therapist and I guess being diagnosed and the stigma has them worked up. I understand

I hope others will chime in but what I see is people buy into the stigma and it puts a huge dent in their self confidence. Many feel shame and disgust about themselves. Some beat themselves up for making a "mistake". Many just need someone to talk to that they trust to not judge them. There's a TON of reasons ... but these are the ones I see the most ;)

I seen a therapist before h moved got new therapist literally seen her once got h seen her second appt. She was judgmental. So never went back to her. So I didn't go cuz of h... but it's the stigma of nobody wanting you again the disgust shame all the feelings you get after you get something that has such a horrible stigma not to mention you get to keep it forever :)

I was a total pessimist about therapy before I started BUT with herpes and everything else, things were just piling up and I was shutting down. Now I am a strong supporter of therapy. They key is to find the right therapist....connection is key....they have to "get" you and you have to totally trust them.

I don't easily trust BuT my therapist I would trust with my life!

Try to get recommendations.

Good luck

Xo

• 5 months later...

I see a therapist for many reasons, but H pushed me over the edge. Mostly because it made me stop and think before rushing into bed with someone to make myself feel better. I think that the number one blessing herpes has brought me (ha! Feels strange to say) is my ability to open up in therapy. My therapist was very understanding, and the process has put a lot in perspective for me. He is also a sex therapist, so I think that helps with being open minded.