• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

herpes whitlow again

I think mr h shoulda bought u a ring instead... how insensitive!

As for whitlow... ive never experienced it..

i think doing similar activities as u would for genital?

Maybe soak your hand in espom salt warm water in a littlw bucket/bowl.

even maybe put a bandage over it so u dont infect the other fingers?

im curious how it feels and affects you. I was worried last night about having gotten it on my thumbs palm area. I remembered that ive had this sensation way before H and its gone with nothing today. I refuse to look at google as I don't want to lose my appetite for a month.

@willow I know right? Lol but thank you I will try that. @ seeker it was very itchy this morning and kinda hurts when I touch it or hit it on something. But the first time I got it, it was very painful. I feel like a genital outbreak is coming on now :( getting a tingly throbbing pain. And I'm supposed to see my man this weekend. Bummer

I have to say I don't know anything about Herpes Whitlow but what I would suggest is that you get the Alum that I've suggested to some for their OB's ... you could either put it on neat or make a strong solution to soak the finger in several times a day... it should dry it up pretty quickly. I found a source for a small quantity of it on Amazon ...

http://tinyurl.com/pmosahc

It may sting for awhile but it should help to dry it up pretty fast ;)

(((HUGS)))

thanks have. im pretty sure the itch I have on my hand is from something else and ive had it before in the past ( way pre herpes) but you know how this thing can be, every new bump or itch causes concern. given its location, base of thumb on palm up into web on left hand, im having a hard time figuring out how I would have even gotten it there. im right handed. it itched pretty constant on sunday night, none on Monday and is just a bit this morning. no bumps or sores and only red if I scratch it. im just trying to figure out what it is and how its caused. too much hand washing? something from work? I think having it on my hand would drive me batty, esp with my giving it to my kid paranoia.

Yup mine is right by my nail... Ughhhhh I hate it so much... I feel like it is worse than my genital herpes because you use your hands for everything! And people look at you like ew what is that?!! I usually have it bandaged up but when it scabs over I like to try to let it breathe a little. Plus like I said you use your hands for everything so its always being aggravated.

My first sign was whitlow. Only had one visible outbreak there so far - in fact there were no bumps, just the blackish coldsore looking thing on my torn cuticle (is that what you mean?). It disappeared in about 10 days as expected, but since then I had feverish symptoms accompanied by single quick burning tingles in my fingers. Could be the anti-virals, not sure yet. Also not sure if the whitlow is what spread downwards or if the two cases were unique.. still lots of answers to find.

Anyway, I didn't really do anything.. just waited, covered sometimes with a plaster. Before I knew what it was, I even tried Dettol and a scalpel but that was really pointless and unnecessary.. Just leave it!

actually in my case it might be the rough hewn cedar ive been working with, just got back at it after a break and it plus maybe neurotic newly diagnosed hand washing = odd sensation on hand that just has to be herpes related cause you know, at this phase EVERYTHING is herpes related. that ant bite on your ankle, herpes, the zit on your forehead ( in my case a sixhead) herpes, didn't get the loan, herpes. my beer tastes punky, herpes. my team is 1-3, you guessed it, herpes.

lmao @seeker you are hilarious!!! Sore throat? Herpes!!! Kidney Stone ? Herpes! lol. I actually just got a kidney stone the other day... Of course it wasn't really herpes related but funny to blame it on herpes anyway lol!

@Sil88 yes that is what I am talking about. Mine start as little circles under my skin in the shape of a circle. It is flesh colored then it changes to red and purple, then scabs and falls off. Last one took 3 to 4 weeks!!! I hope this one only takes a week or two. Its been a few days now.

well the spot I was wondering about stopped feeling odd for a day or so and today I had shooting pain like a needle was shoved into my hand for about 30 seconds then notta but some tenderness if I push on it. its been several days, 4 at least, since I first noticed the odd sensation. no discoloration nor sore of any type tho.

@ havefaith, thanks I too had a kidney stone recently, those things suck.

• 3 months later...

It doesn't have to be a mucous membrane for the virus to shed ...

However, HW isn't usually an issue unless you are having an OB OR you keep pulling the skin back and creating thin skin/hangnails/etc and irritating the area ... (which is how/why most people get it there ...) Keep the skin healthy on your hands and your risk factors for shedding would be quite low.

The only time I would use extra precautions would be if I had it and I was changing a young infant's diaper ... I might look at wearing a surgical glove or finger cot just to be safe because their tiny systems are not able to deal with it and knowing I *might* shed there would be enough reason to take that precaution with one situation ...