• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I DID IT! And I am ok. :)

Quick background story.

I met a guy last summer at my summer job and I really got along with him. When I left said job, he asked me on a date. I said I wasn't ready because I had just gotten out of a relationship. I chatted on and off with him over the fall just as friends checking up. I got herpes in December and took all the way until April to go on a date. He had been asking me for a few months and I thought, what could it hurt?

I went out on a date with him and it was perfect. We got along so well and our sarcastic and witty personalities meshed. We went on many dates and it was perfect. As soon as I knew we were starting to get more physical, I knew I had to disclose.

I did it. I told him. It honestly was so freeing! I had no idea how I was going to do it, but it happened. I asked him if there was anything about him that not a lot of people know. He told me some little things, but I told him I had some things to tell. I talked a bit about my family and some issues there and I said there was one more thing he needed to know about me. I started freaking out a bit and said I couldn't say it. He told me that I didn't have to tell him if I didn't want to. I said that I had to actually, but it was very difficult for me to do it. I handed him the paper that the doctor had given me about herpes and told him before he read it that it was something that I couldn't change and that he could come get me after he read it. I left the room and went outside. (man I could have used a cigarette at that moment) I cried a few tears, but then I mustered up enough courage to go back inside.

I came back in and he was happy I told him and knew how hard it was for me. He said it didn't change anything and that I'm the same person as I was before. I told him I didn't want this to be a defining part of our relationship so if he wanted to talk about it, to get it out now. We talked for about 30 minutes about it. I told him I would do everything I could to keep him safe. It was perfect.

It's been about 2 weeks since I disclosed and things are perfect!

I hope I can give other people some hope! It was tough, but you can do it! :)