• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Trying to understand what happened.

Wife and I are going through a divorce. We've been together for 17 years, including dating, engagement period, and marriage. I've never had another sexual partner and neither has she (I can only take her word for that.). Still, I thought it prudent to get myself tested.

I was told today that I tested positive for HSV2. I haven't seen my test results yet as I'm out of town. The place where I was tested could only tell me it was a blood test that checks for antibodies with a result a 5.0 meaning I've had the virus for years. So at the moment I've no idea exactly what test was performed, though I'd assume either IgM or IgG.

I guess I'm confused. I've never had an outbreak. Neither has my wife. Though I understand that a lack of outbreaks isn't uncommon. My wife was tested a little over six years ago when pregnant. She's also been tested yearly for 14 years while in the military. Never a positive test. In the 17 years we've been together we've only engaged in protected sex (condom) for about two years.

I guess it's possible that I've actually had the virus for years, though just never passed it on to her (Still no idea how I contracted it.). I'm assuming if she has the virus then she would have tested positive on one of her many tests. I guess it's also possible my test was wrong. (Or at least I'm hoping.)

I did the test for nothing more than peace of mind. I was completely floored when I was told I was positive. Tomorrow I plan on obtaining a copy of the test results and then likely scheduling a second test with a different testing center.

Getting HSV2 via a non-sexual route would be extremely, extremely unlikely. We're talking ranges of millions to one. With a test showing up at a 5, unless your name is Michael Smith and they've confused your test results with someone else's, I don't think you're looking at a false positive and would expect your follow-up test will also show up positive. Given the fact you say you've had no other sexual partners, I'm sorry because you've no doubt figured out what that means.

Is it possible to not have outbreaks? Yeah, about 80% of HSV2 positive people don't. That's how this li'l bug spreads so easily.

Right now you're still trying to confirm what you have. Cross the bridges one at a time.

If you do have HSV2, you should know there are plenty of couples who have had sex over the years and never passed it to one another even though they did the mattress mambo without a little latex barrier between them. If that happened, you're lucky but not alone in that.

Of course, if you do have HSV2, then the source of your infection is the mystery.

Victoriaxxx's parents are discordant (ie, one is + one is -) and her mom never passed it to her dad. I have a client who had her first OB after 32 years of marriage and he never got it from her. So yes, you can live with someone and never pass it on. Weird, eh?

So I'm guessing that you have H1 (otherwise they should have told you you have HSV1 AND HSV2) ... but as Herry said, until you see the results you might as well try to just relax... cross the bridge when you get there :)

Peace

Did they also pick up the HSV1?

This may be crazy, but if you are negative for HSV1 then I wonder if somehow you got the HSV2 oral, given that you have only had "cold sores" and nothing (from what you say) down below? You still could have got it from some adult kissing you goodbye or whatever as a kid.

Which might explain why you have not passed it on... HSV2 shedding in the oral area is stated to be at 1% .... which means you just plain got REALLY unlucky as a kid ...

Just putting out as one possibility....

The report has no mention of HSV1 other than pointing out that the test is type specific and will differentiate between HSV1 and HSV2. I'm assuming the report should have listed both? Should I get retested specifically for HSV1?

I've had cold sores in the past. I'd say I see one every few years, though I get it cleared up fast. Nothing around my genitals at all at any point.

((: I look up to my parents so much. My dad was the one who told me that there is a man out there with or without herpes that would love to be with me. That he has been with my mom 22 years and she never passed it. They never used condoms either.. They were just very careful and safe !